Hours: Full-Time – 40 hours per week – hybrid/flexible work environment
Reports To: CEO
About 412 Food Rescue
Driven by the belief that good food belongs to people, not landfills, 412 Food Rescue launched in Pittsburgh, PA in March 2015 to redirect healthy food from the waste stream to households and nonprofits that serve people experiencing food insecurity. In the United States, up to 40 percent of food produced is wasted while 1 in 5 people go hungry.
The only organization in the Greater Pittsburgh Region focused on food that would otherwise be discarded, 412 Food Rescue addresses both hunger and food waste by mobilizing volunteers to bring surplus food from retail locations to households and nonprofits serving people in need.
The growing team of 13,000+ volunteer drivers, mobilized by the Food Rescue Hero technology platform, has redirected more than 20 million pounds of food in the SW Pennsylvania region. Locally, the organization works with over 800 food retailers and 600 nonprofit partners.
About the Food Rescue Hero Technology Platform
The Food Rescue Hero technology platform helps food recovery and hunger relief organizations launch and scale food recovery. Focusing on the logistical challenges of retail food recovery, Food Rescue Hero addresses the related challenges of food waste, hunger and climate change through technology-coordinated, community-powered networks.
The platform matches excess food from retailers, institutions and events to households and nonprofits that serve people experiencing food insecurity. Through the app, volunteer drivers are alerted when surplus food is available to be picked up near them.
Since its launch in 2016, the app has facilitated the redirection of more than 65 million pounds of perfectly good food from landfills to the people who need it. Food Rescue Hero now measurably impacts food insecurity in 12 North American cities, with 23,000+ volunteers receiving push notifications of available rescues. The 12-city network recovers surplus food from over 4800+ food retailers, to 2700+ nonprofits and serves over 1 million people.
In support of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals 2, 12 and 13, its goal is to scale food recovery in 100 cities by 2030.
412 Food Rescue and Food Rescue Hero have won over 20 awards including Fast Company World Changing Ideas Award, Vital Voices Global Leadership Award, CES Innovation Honor, Carnegie Science Information Technology Award, WE Empower UN SDG Award, Pittsburgh Technology Council Startup of the Year, and Pittsburgh City Paper Pittsburgers of the Year.
412 Food Rescue is looking for an innovative Vice President of Development who will take the lead in the full suite of fundraising strategy and initiatives for a nontraditional nonprofit: foundation/corporate philanthropy, government, individual giving, corporate partnerships, events, collaborations.
We are a technology-enabled, people-powered organization that directly impacts three big challenges – food waste, food insecurity and climate change. Our work spans the cross-section of technology, hunger and climate action. We work both at a local and international level. With an operating food rescue organization locally and a technology platform that is licensed to food rescue organizations internationally.
We mobilize one of the largest networks of on-demand volunteers in the world.
The Vice President of Development will have to be able to tell the story of our intersectoral work and impact effectively in these three verticals – spanning different sectors of giving. We are a nonprofit with a social enterprise mindset. We are technology and data driven. But led by the power of people to make change. We push conventional models of intervention on hunger and social services towards new models.
We operate in a SINGULAR INTERSECTING space and the challenge is to break through the barriers of traditional sectoral giving and risk in philanthropy.
Approaching our 7th year in operations, the VP of Development will join the leadership team of one of the most awarded organizations that has successfully built financial capacity, source diversity, a growing earned revenue stream and a pipeline for growth that is waiting to be tapped.
We have an OKR-based work approach, hence, expect every staff to have sense of agency, an independent work ethic and allows us to foster a flexible, outcomes-based culture.
- Analyze trends in corporate sponsorship and philanthropic giving
- Works closely with the CEO to identify and develop relationships beneficial to the organization’s overall mission.
- Participates as a member of the leadership team in developing and implementing organization-wide budgets, policies, and programs that will contribute to the organization’s success.
- Creates and implements annual fundraising plans and strategies to increase the overall revenue stream for program and operating funds.
- Manages and tracks progress toward advancement goals.
- Identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards foundations, major donors, individual, corporate, and community groups
- Works with the board of directors to leverage their expertise, relationships, etc., in all advancement efforts, as well as facilitate and track board giving.
- Recruit and lead high-level volunteers and volunteer leadership committees to implement and successfully complete new revenue programs.
- Works closely with the finance team to ensure timely and accurate financial tracking, reporting, gift instruments for donors, assuring donor intent in gift/grant distribution and reporting as necessary for government funding contracts.
- Monitors progress for proposals, grants, and reports to ensure timely deliverables.
- Work with Marketing on website strategy, governance, SEO and other digital efforts as it relates to fundraising
- Participate in community and corporate functions that will provide networking and visibility opportunities to facilitate generating new partnership contacts.
- Supervises fundraising team members and interns.
Foundation / Corporate Philanthropy / Government
- Lead the research, identification and stewardship of new and existing foundation and government funders for general operating and program support.
- Maintain a robust portfolio of foundations, identifying and stewarding relationships with foundation representatives to deepen and grow funding 412 Food Rescue.
- Initiate, plan and execute government funding strategy.
- Act as official liaison between 412 Food Rescue and funding sources to ensure contractual compliance that includes programmatic and fiscal reports.
- Oversee the development of timely grant proposals and reports.
- Develop and launch organization’s major gifts program.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual donors.
- Forge relationships that will lead to transformational gifts.
- Monitor and report on progress of donor-related activities and gift solicitations.
- Oversee the preparation of funding proposals, talking points and strategies, assessments of potential support.
- Oversee the development and distribution of campaign solicitation strategies, including print and electronic.
- Work with Marketing team to implement customer experience journeys that include giving.
- Manages fundraising events, ensuring year-over-year engagement and revenue growth.
- Grow collaborative fundraising events with other organizations
- Work closely with the Head of Marketing to broker, steward and grow partnerships and collaborations with corporations and organizations that are aligned with our brand values.
Data, Systems and Processes
- Establish and execute the strategy and the roadmap for the organization’s fundraising systems and data (Salesforce CRM, Mailchimp, etc)
- Drive the use of data and analytics in decision making, including enhancing data quality processes across the organization and cleanup/improvement of existing data. This includes identifying current gaps in data collection, define data needs and data quality approach.
- Establish automated fundraising dashboards, KPI’s, etc. to support organizational goals.
Other responsibilities, as needed, may include:
- General administrative tasks and other tasks as needed.
In this role, you will report to the CEO and will lead (and grow) a team of 2 fundraising managers.
QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK HISTORY:
- At least 5-7 years of relevant experience. At least 2 years in a leadership role.
- Proven history of leading and championing effective and energetic teams, encouraging innovation and ideas in a fast paced environment.
- Strategy, planning and EXECUTION excellence
- Outstanding verbal, writing, editing and presentation skills with demonstrated proficiency in pitching to the philanthropic community.
- Demonstrated experience in strategy, data analysis, budgeting
- Strong interest/passion for community-driven, comprehensive solution-making strategies for underserved and under-resourced communities
- Data-driven. Ability to develop, analyze and speak to business performance and metrics
- A love of management and processes, but a practical approach to both (progress not perfection)
- Extraordinary prioritization skills
- Curious, exceptional problem-solving skills, OKR-driven/results-orientation
- A true collaborator who can be a thought leader and advisor to the CEO, supporter of the senior management team, and leader of a department of diverse talent.
- Team player, cross-functional collaborator
- Flexible schedule for occasional weekend, evening events. Must be able to travel when required.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note that to progress through the hiring process, candidates will be required to download the Food Rescue Hero app and complete one or more food rescues.
We appreciate all application interests, however, due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to all inquiries.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org