Hours: Full-Time – 40 hours per week
Reports To: CEO
About 412 Food Rescue
Driven by the belief that good food belongs to people, not landfills, 412 Food Rescue launched in Pittsburgh, PA in March 2015 to redirect healthy food from the waste stream to households and nonprofits that serve people experiencing food insecurity. In the United States, up to 40 percent of food produced is wasted while 1 in 5 people go hungry.
The only organization in the Greater Pittsburgh Region focused on food that would otherwise be discarded, 412 Food Rescue addresses both hunger and food waste by mobilizing volunteers to bring surplus food from retail locations to households and nonprofits serving people in need.
The growing team of 13,000+ volunteer drivers, mobilized by the Food Rescue Hero technology platform, has redirected more than 20 million pounds of food in the SW Pennsylvania region. Locally, the organization works with over 800 food retailers and 600 nonprofit partners.
About the Food Rescue Hero Technology Platform
The Food Rescue Hero technology platform helps food recovery and hunger relief organizations launch and scale food recovery. Focusing on the logistical challenges of retail food recovery, Food Rescue Hero addresses the related challenges of food waste, hunger and climate change through technology-coordinated, community-powered networks.
The platform matches excess food from retailers, institutions and events to households and nonprofits that serve people experiencing food insecurity. Through the app, volunteer drivers are alerted when surplus food is available to be picked up near them.
Since its launch in 2016, the app has facilitated the redirection of more than 65 million pounds of perfectly good food from landfills to the people who need it. Food Rescue Hero now measurably impacts food insecurity in 12 North American cities, with 23,000+ volunteers receiving push notifications of available rescues. The 12-city network recovers surplus food from over 4800+ food retailers, to 2700+ nonprofits and serves over 1 million people.
In support of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals 2, 12 and 13, its goal is to scale food recovery in 100 cities by 2030.
412 Food Rescue and Food Rescue Hero have won over 20 awards including Fast Company World Changing Ideas Award, Vital Voices Global Leadership Award, CES Innovation Honor, Carnegie Science Information Technology Award, WE Empower UN SDG Award, Pittsburgh Technology Council Startup of the Year, and Pittsburgh City Paper Pittsburgers of the Year.
ABOUT THE ROLE
412 Food Rescue is hiring its first Head of Marketing and Communications to lead the organization’s next phase of growth. Approaching 7 years of operations, 412 Food Rescue continues its fast-paced growth reaching the 10 million pounds of food recovered milestone in 5 years and doubling to 20 million pounds in year 6.
There are currently over 13,000 food rescue heroes in the region receiving push notifications of available food rescues. This deep bench of committed volunteers has enabled us to provide our food donors and nonprofit partners with an average service level of 99% (missing only 1% of food rescues available and a higher performance level than some commercial services).
The Food Rescue Hero platform is licensed and used in 12 cities with a goal to support 100 cities by 2030. This 12-city network has over 23,000 food rescue heroes and has cumulatively recovered over 65 million pounds of food.
This growth has largely been ORGANIC – focused on both high-touch initiatives and precise, consistent content strategy — social media and online campaigns, earned media and promotional/cooperative partnerships.
We have built the beginnings of a MOVEMENT and the call of the moment is to cross the chasm.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
You are passionate about our work and committed to a mission-driven career.
You are a passionate marketer who understands both B2C and B2B. You love people, you love to understand what drives them. You have experience in brand management and marketing whether in CPG, consumer-taregted apps, movement-building. AND, you are the maven who also understands B2B.
You have experience and facility in multi-channel marketing. A generalist who can deploy a carefully coordinated portfolio of initiatives to achieve our goals. You are intuitive but at the same time understand marketing analytics and use data to inform decisions.
You are a writer and storyteller. You can express complex technical and academic concepts into compelling calls to action to multiple audiences.
You have corporate or agency experience but also experience with startups and MUST love #startuplife. Ambiguity has nothing on you. You are unflappable. You are adaptable. You expect change. You create processes. You’ve heard of the adage, “the obstacle is the path” and have that as your mantra.
You are a team player through and through.
The selected candidate will be responsible for developing all strategies for marketing and communications at 412FR/FRH including marketing, branding, advertising, graphic content, website, digital and social media, PR and sales. The selected candidate will coordinate messaging and collaborate with all departments in support of all revenue streams–both earned and philanthropic.
Along with the CEO, serves as the brand strategist with a holistic approach to the entire 412FR/FRH customer experience from the first contact through a defined funnel.
Marketing and Communications
- Creates and executes a strategic and integrated marketing and public relations plan that is comprehensive, supports the mission and includes all print materials, website, social and traditional media opportunities, and promotional events.
- Builds and deploys best practices for digital marketing and content marketing while
Oversee strategy, creative development, production, and maintenance of digital marketing vehicles, SEO/SEM, email marketing efforts and social media.
- Evaluate and assess emerging digital communications trends.
- Build multiple user acquisition channels for all business lines across B2C and B2B.
- Create lifecycle marketing capabilities to engage customers for extended journeys on the Food Rescue Hero platform.
- Execute cooperative partnership opportunities.
- Represents 412FR/FRH internally and externally with a broad range of stakeholders locally and nationally.
- Develop key performance indicators and present results of programs and campaigns to stakeholders.
- Monitors and reports on programs in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with the Food Recovery Operations team to ensure consistent performance and growth metrics are achieved.
- Collaborate with Product and Business Development team to develop marketing strategies for the Food Rescue Hero platform and ensure consistent performance and growth metrics are achieved.
- Collaborate with the Development/Fundraising team to ensure consistent messaging.
- Invest in development and coaching of the marketing team to ensure their success and growth, including participation in key planning decisions and execution of plans.
- Serve as main point of contact for third party consultants and oversee the implementation of approved plans.
- Own and oversee the marketing budget and evaluate against performance metrics.
QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK HISTORY
- At least 5-7 years of relevant experience. At least 2 years in a leadership role.
- Proven history of leading and championing effective and energetic teams, encouraging innovation and ideas in a fast paced, pressured environment.
- Strategy, planning and EXECUTION excellence
- Corporate and/or Agency and Start-up experience
- Experience using research methodologies for customer insight.
- Proven ability to create high-level marketing strategies that maximize user acquisition and earned income streams
- In-depth knowledge of current trends in marketing with an understanding of digital and social media platforms.
- Accomplished storyteller with experience elevating and disseminating content to current and new audiences.
- History of using social media effectively in both marketing and public relations strategies.
- Outstanding verbal, writing, editing and presentation skills with demonstrated proficiency in writing for senior executives and the media.
- Demonstrated experience in business strategy, data analysis, budgeting
- Strong interest/passion for community-driven, comprehensive solution-making strategies for underserved and under-resourced communities
- Ability to develop, analyze and speak to business performance and metrics
- A love of management and processes, but a practical approach to both (progress not perfection)
- Extraordinary prioritization skills
- Curious, exceptional problem-solving skills, OKR-driven/results-orientation
- A true collaborator who can be a thought leader and advisor to the CEO, supporter of the senior management team, and leader of a department of diverse talent.
- Minimum of BA with an emphasis in business, marketing, journalism, communications.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Head of Marketing and Communications” in the Subject Line.
Please note that to progress through the hiring process, candidates will be required to download the Food Rescue Hero app and complete one or more food rescues.
We appreciate all application interests, however, due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to all inquiries.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org