Director of Development & Communications
Salary: $31/hr ($32,000 annually)
Job Type: Part-time (20 hours per week)
Start date: 1/2/23
- BS, or BA from an accredited college or university in a related field or 8 years of equivalent experience.
- 2-3 years experience with donor relations, fundraising campaigns, and events, preferably in the field of social services
- 2-3 years experience writing and editing reports, proposals, or articles for publication
- Ability to analyze data or program metrics
- Ability to execute and effectively manage database management systems for donations and gifts
- Experience preparing management reports to track and analyze fundraising and communications strategies and results
- Ability to pass Act 33/34, PATCH and FBI Clearances.
MAYA’s mission is to provide education and promote the healing process in order to enable women and families to break the cycle of generational trauma and foster the optimal physical and mental development of their children. We believe that every parent should have an equal opportunity to thrive. Too many Pittsburgh parents live in materno-toxic zones that negatively impact their physical and mental health and that of their children. MAYA offers prenatal, childbirth, and parenting education; birth doulas; mental health therapy; mentorship, and practical assistance to expectant and new parents and to incarcerated people.
The Director of Development and Communications will be a part-time position leading and supporting MAYA’s fundraising and communications efforts. Reporting to the executive director, this experienced professional must have an established background in coordinating nonprofit donation strategies and financial planning. This role involves organizing fundraising initiatives, working with board members, managing our annual fundraising programs, as well as helping to build relationships for immediate and long-term growth in contributed revenue.The development director will assist the executive director with generating reliable and diverse revenue streams that align with MAYA’s mission.
- Work with the executive director to create, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive development plan including fundraising, grants, corporate partnerships, and earned income.
- Draft/compile/organize grant language to ensure consistency throughout standard sections of grant requests
- Establish an annual fundraising program that will generate reliable and diverse revenue streams that will sustain MAYA’s mission and strategic growth.
- Coordinate the design and drafting of print materials and social media for the organization including quarterly and annual reports, flyers, donor engagement materials and presentations.
- Utilize tracker of potential donors in existing software based on engagement/activity with them through other avenues of work
- Expand and diversify donor base.
- Support and manage relationship-building efforts with individual donors and ensure Board of Directors engagement
- Monitor community trends and identify opportunities for cultivating relationships with existing and potential funders, both on the foundation and corporate sides
- Create and leverage consistent messaging to equip the Board of Directors and staff to communicate effectively with the public about MAYA.
- In partnership with the executive director, create a yearly tracker for grant/proposal submissions, major donations, upcoming opportunities, reporting deadlines, etc.
- In partnership with the executive director, identify appropriate grant opportunities
- Coordinate the development of grant proposals and reports including data collection, editing, photo, and video collection.
- Cultural humility - a dynamic and lifelong process focusing on self-reflection and personal critique, acknowledging one’s own biases. It recognizes the shifting nature of intersecting identities and encourages ongoing curiosity rather than an endpoint.
- Communication - Effective in multiple modes of two-way communication including verbal, written, listening, negotiation and presentation.
- Relationship-Building - Develops strong working relationships with individuals internally and externally to achieve goals.
- Effective Time Management - Demonstrated ability to manage resources and time to accomplish goals and meet deadlines.
- Agility - Ability to adjust behaviors, attitudes, and work processes to meet the changing needs of the clients, community, and organization and bring creative ideas and solutions.
- Teamwork - Participates and collaborates with other team members. At all levels builds effective teams to achieve organizational goals.
- Results-Focused - Sets appropriate goals and gets the job done. Responds to a challenge with drive and enthusiasm.
MAYA’s Workplace Values:
- Empower others
- Trustfulness & trustworthiness
- Offer options
- Create safety
- Build community
- Share knowledge
- Ask questions
- Communicate clearly & directly
- Think creatively
- Learn from failure
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Send resume and cover letter to Christy Cozby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.