BikePGH seeks an experienced and highly organized Events Manager to help put on some of the city’s largest special events, such as OpenStreetsPGH and PedalPGH. The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented planner and problem solver who can think on their feet while providing high level logistical support to the Event Director. If putting on large and small events that highlight the importance of active transportation excites you, this is your opportunity to impact the lives of thousands of Pittsburghers!
BikePGH is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in how we shape our strategic goals and organizational work and who we employ on our staff and the volunteers on our board of directors. In recruiting for our organization, we welcome the life experiences that are shaped in part by race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, education, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetics, disability, age, languages spoken, or veteran's status.
Target Start: February 2023
Reports to: Events Director
Mission: BikePGH is transforming our streets to make biking and walking commonplace for all Pittsburghers in order to improve our quality of life and reduce the harmful effects of car dependence in our communities.
Salary: $48,000-55,000 annually, depending on experience
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance through UPMC;
- 20 days of paid time off annually - combined sick and vacation time;
- 13 paid observed office holidays per calendar year;
- 401(k) benefits with a 3% employer match after six months;
- Employee paid supplemental short-term/long-term disability insurance through Aflac;
- $15/month cell phone reimbursement.
Organizational Culture & Working Conditions:
- Work is typically performed in an open office setting, but employees are able to work remotely as preferred;
- Our office is located in Lawrenceville and shared by a staff of 11; close to major bus lines with indoor and covered outdoor bike parking on-site;
- Professional but relaxed office atmosphere where employees are encouraged to be their authentic selves;
- No corporate dress code requirements;
- On average 40 hours per week;
- Working hours are often M-F 9-5 though working hours can be adjusted;
- Travel within the community and to events will be required;
- Occasional evening and weekend work will be required;
- Ample opportunities for professional development and skill-building;
- Exchange time off for weekend hours or hours worked beyond 40 in a workweek is available to ensure a healthy work-life balance.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Direct support person to the Events Director in planning and executing BikePGH’s events.
- Maintains detailed spreadsheets for OpenStreetsPGH and PedalPGH, and implements plans on the event day under the direction of the Events Director.
- Recruits, manages applications, coordinates, and communicates with community partners, vendors, businesses, and event performers.
- Produces documents such as instructional guides and site maps for staff, government agencies, event participants, volunteers, vendors, and the public in advance of each major event and thoroughly communicates details.
- Acts as the on-site event contact for activity partners, vendors and performers on event day.
- Assists the Events Director to provide City of Pittsburgh employees (Depts. of Public Works and Public Safety) with on-site procedure documents for OpenStreetsPGH and PedalPGH.
- Creates and manages documents such as event route maps, diagrams, and information sheets to communicate about events with government agencies, event participants, and the general public.
- Supports staff across departments to manage logistics, materials, and packing lists for events such as Bike to Work Day, Bike to Campus Week, WMNBikePGH Summit & Camping trip, Annual Members Meeting, and Advocacy Activation events.
- Works in collaboration with the relevant staff to prepare communication and marketing information for the general public.
- Ensures invoices from event vendors, and performers are submitted for payment.
- Plans, refines processes, incorporates feedback from surveys and lessons learned from previous events to be used in upcoming events.
Seasonal Staff Supervision
- Collaborates with the Events Director and Volunteer & Community Outreach Coordinator to determine seasonal staff needs for event execution and outreach opportunities.
- Oversees hiring, training, and scheduling of all seasonal staff for major events and outreach opportunities.
- Ensures seasonal staff timesheets and invoices are submitted for payment.
- Actively gathers feedback from staff (full time and seasonal) to refine and improve processes.
- Passion for the mission of BikePGH
- Excellent time management skills - i.e., the ability to prioritize overlapping deliverables.
- Resourceful self-starter
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Can problem solve and make decisions under pressure
- Experience managing vendors and partners with an ability to maintain good relations and provide customer service in stressful situations
- Willing to jump in and help get the job done
- Collaborative and a natural team player
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in basic mapmaking (Google Maps) and creating visual aids (Canva or other design software)
- Associate's or bachelor's degree preferred.
- Be able to and comfortable with holding an extensive conversation with co-workers and the general public;
- Varied activities include sitting, reaching, bending, lifting up to 50lbs, pushing/pulling, walking, or assisted walking via wheelchair or mobility device.
How to Apply:
Write a compelling cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, tell us which BikePGH events you've attended and what you thought. Be honest! What were the highlights, and what could we improve? What message did you come away from the event with? (If you have not attended any BikePGH events, tell us your initial impressions based on what you have seen in the community and on our website.)
Be sure to mention where you saw the opening advertised.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through late February and considered until the position is filled. The ideal candidate would start employment no later than March 2022.
By email: Please send application materials to email@example.com with “Events Manager” in the subject line.
By mail: Please enclose your resume and cover letter in a sealed envelope and mail to:
BikePGH: 188 43rd Street, #1 Pittsburgh, PA 15201
Your application has been successfully submitted.
BikePGH is transforming our streets to make biking and walking commonplace for all Pittsburghers in order to improve our quality of life and reduce th...