Administrative Program Specialist
Job no: 530743
Work type: Classified Staff
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Accounting/Finance, Administrative/Office Support, Planning/Project Management
Department: Central Business Services Office
Classification: Administrative Program Spec
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $18.92 to $28.59 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Position Closes December 12, 2022
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure consideration, in addition to your online application, which includes contact information for 3 references, you will need to provide:
- A resume of your educational and professional work experience.
- A cover letter that clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
The Central Business Service Offices (CBSO), a shared service office, provides service within the Office of the Provost portfolio. The specific services are in the areas of: Finance, Human Resources, Payroll, Purchasing, Contracting, Travel, and Accounts Payable.
The mission of the shared services group is to provide excellent customer service and consistency through centralized services, offering our expertise in processing a wide variety of financial and human resources transactions and functions including acting as a liaison to the Business Affairs Office, Purchasing and Contracting Services, University Human Resources, and Payroll Administration. We are committed to building and maintaining strong partnerships with our stakeholders to ensure their needs are fulfilled to the highest standard.
The CBSO unit provides shared services for several organizations within the OtP portfolio including:
- College of Design
- School of Journalism & Communication
- College of Education
- Division of Graduate Studies
- Clark Honors College
The units supported by CBSO constitute a large business enterprise consisting of more than 2,500 employees and a total budget more than $100 million in budgeted operations funds. The CBSO works with 13 plus employee category types, sponsored funds, gift funds, the foundation and some research, outreach and designated ops org funds. The CBSO also handles these fund transitions in addition to budgeted operations funds.
This Administrative Program Specialist position is the primary payroll coordinator for CBSO and all of its partner units and is responsible for unilaterally creating CBSO policies and procedures related to payroll. This position is also solely responsible for the dissemination and communication of payroll related procedures and best practices to all CBSO partner unit's faculty, staff, and students. In addition to creating internal processes for compliance with university policy and applicable labor laws and regulations, this position will initiate and complete transactions related to payroll, contracts, and deposits. The individual in this position will support human resources by carefully auditing and monitoring human resources transactions for compliance as it relates to payroll.
The Administrative Program Specialist is highly collaborative and interacts directly with stakeholders across CBSO partner units to provide guidance and process transactions on behalf of faculty, staff and administrators. The individual in the position must be able to independently research, analyze, and report on financial transactions, while establishing and maintaining controls and internal procedures related to both payroll and accounting. This includes interpreting program policies and regulations, offering technical advice and consultation, reviewing accounting operations, and producing reports of findings alongside recommendations for alteration to CBSO and CBSO partner units. This position requires a commitment to maintain the highest ethical standards within the department and university.
This position will provide backup support for other financial staff within the CBSO team and reports directly to the Senior Director of the CBSO.
- Two years of experience as an administrative specialist or executive support specialist which included administrative support for a project, program, or operation. Administrative support includes those duties beyond clerical/secretarial such as: interpretation of laws, rules, and regulations; administrative data collection and analysis; and evaluation of projects, processes, and operations; OR
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
- One year of postsecondary education may be substituted for up to one year of the experience.
- Proficiency with software and technology, including word processing and spreadsheets, and an interest in using technology to improve processes.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse team environment and create effective relationships for problem solving and positive interactions.
- Ability to communicate professionally and appropriately with a variety of people, both in-person and through written documents.
- Detail-oriented, self-starter, and proactive; ability to prioritize and complete required functions with little supervision.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work successfully with multiple tasks and shifting priorities, both independently as well as in a collaborative team environment.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations appropriately, with demonstrated professionalism and diplomacy.
- Ability to interpret laws, rules, policies, and procedures, and be able to apply these interpretations to specific, non-routine situations.
- Three or more years of experience in lead work for operations functions such as purchasing, payroll, accounts payable, account reconciliation, and travel coordination.
- Experience with financial information systems and Concur for Travel and Procurement.
- Experience with higher education or government accounting.
- Experience interpreting and applying laws, rules, and regulations, preferably in a college or university setting.
FLSA Exempt: No
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://hr.uoregon.edu/uo-covid-19-vaccination-requirement-employee-process.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the http://studentlife.uoregon.edu/nondiscrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://clery.uoregon.edu/annual-campus-security-and-fire-safety-report.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3657723
Your application has been successfully submitted.