Lawyer of the Day Court Resource Navigator
This job is no longer accepting applications.
$44,000 - $46,000
Start Date: Immediately
Application Deadline: 1/13/2023
This position is both on-site in the courts and remote work from home.
RentHelpPGH is hiring Court Resource Navigators for the Urban Redevelopment Authority of the City of Pittsburgh’s (URA) Legal Assistance Program (LAP) ‘Lawyer of the Day’ (LOTD) team. These Resource Navigators will be joining an amazing team of resource navigators from RentHelpPGH and attorneys from Ebony Law and Neighborhood Legal Services. Court Resource Navigators conduct outreach to tenants with current eviction filings in order to connect those tenants with legal assistance and programs that can provide rental or utility assistance. They then work closely with the attorneys providing legal representation at the hearings to ensure that tenants have the best chance to remain in their homes. Resource Navigators work closely with their RentHelpPGH colleagues and attend eviction hearings to connect with tenants we were unable to connect with by phone or text outreach beforehand. This is a full time position that reports directly to the Court Resource Navigation Supervisor.
Since 2020, RentHelpPGH has served more than 3000 Allegheny County residents at risk of or actively experiencing evictions through our Help Desk, Eviction Rapid Response, and Mediation Resource Navigation programs. RentHelpPGH provides direct outreach to individuals at all stages of the formal eviction hearing process in order to connect individuals with rental, utility, and legal assistance that can keep families in their homes. We collaborate closely with legal aid providers, eviction diversion programs, and housing agencies to develop programs that effectively serve tenants.
Neighborhood Legal Services
Neighborhood Legal Services is a non-profit civil legal aid firm providing legal assistance to low-income individuals in Southwest Pennsylvania since 1966. NLS provides services ranging from advice through full representation to tenants at all stages of the formal eviction process. NLS also collaborates with eviction diversion programs and resource navigation services to connect tenants to resources necessary to solve their housing issues. (www.nlsa.us)
Ebony Law is a law firm founded to uniquely address the needs of people and businesses who wish to engage differently with the field of law. Our attorneys are often working as strategists, colleagues, and advisors to individuals and businesses before they require a formal legal document or intervention. Our focus on access and impact positions us to be the most affordable, flexible and long-ranging support mechanisms for our clients.
Resource Navigation Responsibilities
- Provide phone and text outreach to tenants who have had an eviction filed against them
- Provide clear and compassionate communication to tenants and landlords engaged in disputes
- Assess client’s eligibility for programs
- Assist client with connecting to resources
- Review any and all requirements and procedures for applications with clients
- Assist clients in applying for resources, including setting up accounts for online applications, gathering documents, submitting documents to appropriate providers, etc.
- Refer clients to the appropriate legal provider and provide clear information on the status of assistance applications to the legal team
- Attend court with legal team (attorney and either intake specialist or paralegal) to connect with tenants unreachable prior to the hearing and collect any documentation pertinent to their applications
- Ability to approach strangers in crisis in a respectful, open manner in order to engage them with legal services and other programs
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of eviction proceedings in Allegheny County
- Provide information to tenants about the legal process and their rights within that process
- Inform tenants who were not already engaged in the LOTD program about the program and encourage them to explain they will be participating to the judge
- Follow the designated processes for using the RentHelpPGH platform, Authorization forms, referrals, Eviction Rapid Response platform, and additional services
- Attend programmatic trainings
- Attend regular team meetings
- Other duties as assigned in support of Resource Navigation for RentHelpPGH clients
- Experience working with social service programs available in Allegheny County is a plus though we will train the right candidate:
- Rental assistance programs
- Legal assistance programs
- Utility assistance
- Health and wellbeing
- Food resources
- Public assistance
- Other programs as required
- Demonstrated willingness to develop knowledge of and familiarity with complex systems and services
- Proficiency in HubSpot, Excel, Zoom, and Google platforms and comfort with learning independently-developed platforms
- Strong virtual and in-person communication skills
- Comfort with “cold-calling”” communications and outreach, ie. unsolicited outreach
- Ability to work independently, self-direct work tasks, and create and execute attainable work plans
- Ability to track detailed and complicated paperwork and situations
- Ability to work in a fast paced, rapidly changing work environment
- High School diploma or GED completion
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and boosters
- Personal computer and reliable internet required
This position is roughly fifty-percent remote and work-from-home and fifty-percent in person at the court offices. It will require flexible work hours, including some evenings. Transportation access and appropriate licenses will be required to visit clients in person when needed and assist clients with in-person applications for benefits throughout Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. This position will primarily involve office or non-manual work, so the employee will be required to sit for prolonged periods of time. Employee must be able to lift up to 20 pounds, for example when setting up a meeting space.
- Position is salary starting at $44,000 annually with a 90-day trial period. Potential to raise rate to $46,000 annually upon review.
- Paid holidays and a comprehensive PTO program starting at 4 weeks (after 90 day trial period) and 1 week of paid sick leave.
- Health benefits are offered for full time employees
- This is a grant funded position for which extension opportunities will be sought but are not guaranteed. This is an at-will employment position.
Solid candidates have a spirit of service, highly effective customer service skills, a strong desire to help their neighbors, a commitment to social justice, and personal experience navigating social services. Candidates should also have knowledge of and comfort with computers and using a developing online customer management platform and be curious, creative, and flexible.
- Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com, Subject: Court Resource Navigator
Your application has been successfully submitted.