Reporting to the Strategic Programming Manager and working closely with the President and CEO, the Development Coordinator is responsible for bringing both structure and imagination to the growing sophistication of our development activities, especially around individual giving, corporate sponsorships, and special events. This role is both strategic and tactical, requiring the ability to think big while minding all the details. The ideal candidate has a clear grasp of core components of development with strong writing skills and experience in development operations.
This position is full-time at 40 hours per week and will be a combination of remote and in-person work. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the President and CEO to update existing development plan to accomplish organizational goals as they evolve
- Project manage the CEO’s fundraising work, directing her where and how best to spend her time and efforts on weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis
- Stay up-to-date with best practices, trends, and research regarding fundraising strategies and donor engagement
Individual Donor Development
- Conduct research on prospective and existing donors, recording all notes in the Council’s CRM and preparing donor portfolios for the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Support the design and execution of two annual, multi-channel fundraising appeals
- Support the the Council’s annual Soiree fundraising event by tracking sponsorship and tickets toward goal, supporting the host committee’s fundraising efforts, and serving as a part of the event concept team in partnership with the contracted event planner
- Maintain accurate, segmented donor distribution lists
- Manage the Council’s monthly donor program to build relationships with this community and ensure timely and targeted stewardship
- Project manage all peer-to-peer and third-party fundraising requests, including reviewing all fundraiser requests to ensure mission alignment and serving as the main POC to support fundraisers
- Project manage the execution of the Council’s stewardship plan to ensure appropriate gift recognition and stewardship and execute donor cultivation activities and events
- Attend select funding meetings with the President and CEO
- Manage benefits delivery for current corporate partnerships and work with the CEO to identify meaningful partnership opportunities to build new relationships
- Work with the President and CEO to manage the Foundry, the Council’s unique corporate partnership program
- Assist the CEO in managing Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) corporate partnerships to ensure annual renewal and compliance with state paperwork
Development Operations and Reporting
- Responsible for all gift processing and donor acknowledgment of both online and offline donations, working closely with the accounting team
- Spearhead data input, ensure data integrity and accuracy in all records and reports in the CRM
- Collaborate with the President and CEO to ensure all prospective gifts have open tasks leading to their solicitation and closing
- Produce weekly, monthly, and annual donor reports for Council leadership
- Routinely update how-to documentation to codify and safeguard systems
- Work closely with the Communications Coordinator on the formatting, designing, and distribution of marketing materials, annual reports, and other collateral, as needed
- Develop creative and mission-centric fundraising messaging that articulates the special role of the Council in creating a more globally-minded region and the impact of that work on the community
Qualifications & Skills
- At least 3 years of nonprofit development experience
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to adapt writing between formal proposals and informal individual communications
- Excited to propose fresh ideas without prompting by leadership, open to feedback on those ideas, and persistent enough to bring them to life
- Outgoing, flexible, creative, and able to thrive in a collaborative, evolving environment
- Multi-tasker, highly organized, attention to detail and deadlines
- Genuine interest in global issues (e.g. diplomacy, human rights, resilience, immigration)
- MS Office, Google Workspace, and other platforms such as Slack and Airtable to support communication and project management
- Valid driver’s license and/or ability to commute to work-related events across the Pittsburgh region is required
Organizational Core Values
- INCLUSION We celebrate and embrace diverse lived experiences. We invest in relationships, elevate youth voice, and value all perspectives because we know a collaborative approach to our work is necessary to embody antiracism and pursue equity.
- INQUIRY We lead with curiosity. We ask questions and prioritize reflection as we strive for continuous improvement. We allow ourselves and those around us to be vulnerable in the pursuit of learning and growth.
- INITIATIVE We take action to solve problems. We meet challenges with a “can do” attitude, push ourselves to reimagine what could be, and take smart risks to find new opportunities and ways to be of service to others.
- INTEGRITY We build on a foundation of trust and reliability to consistently deliver quality. We take the time to prepare, hold ourselves and those around us accountable, and take a mindset of alignment and shared purpose into everything we do.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary is in the $38,000 to $40,000 range, based on experience
- Competitive insurance package
- Generous paid time off, including Federal Holidays and personal days
- Professional development opportunities
- Flexible teleworking
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Coordinator” in the subject line and include the following documents:
- Cover letter with salary requirements and available start date
- A writing sample representative of your development work
The World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a culture of inclusion that celebrates and recognizes the strength in our diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Sparking Bold Thoughts