Trail Experience Coordinator
Position Title: Trail Experience Coordinator
Position Status: Full-Time/Non-Exempt (40 hours/week)
Reports To: Director of Development and Communications
About Friends of the Riverfront:
Friends of the Riverfront works to build safe, clean, and accessible riverfront trails as part of the Three Rivers Heritage & Water Trail Network to create and maintain an outstanding experience for trail users while providing economic, environmental, and health benefits to the Pittsburgh region. We encourage and hire employees that exhibit a positive attitude and enthusiasm for our work. Learn more at FriendsoftheRiverfront.org.
- Include: Support and promote a diverse and inclusive trail community
- Lead: Proactively seek out and collaborate with diverse partners and communities
- Be Kind: Foster a culture of appreciation and service
- Have integrity: Be accountable to trail users and partners
- Make a Difference: Passionately advocate for publicly accessible riverfronts and trails
The Trail Experience Coordinator will build relationships with trail user groups to promote the Three Rivers Heritage Trail and Three Rivers Water Trail to Increase usership, especially in low-use communities. This position will be responsible for implementing outreach events along the Three Rivers Heritage Trail, connecting trails, and the Three Rivers Water Trail through partnerships with local organizations and local governments. The Trail Experience Coordinator will work closely with the Director of Development and Communications to develop a clear plan for external communications and branding to increase the profile of Friends, including in populations with little prior engagement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Develop, implement, and manage a Trail Ambassador Program
- Develop and implement environmental education curriculum for outreach programs
- Develop a series of on-trail events in collaboration with existing organizations. Examples include Venture Outdoors, Tree Pittsburgh, Western PA Conservancy, Allegheny CleanWays, Pennsylvania Resources Council, Audubon Society of Western PA
- Develop and maintain collaborative partnerships with trail user groups
- Serve as a liaison and collaborator with organized events on the trail (i.e. group runs and rides)
- Answer trail inquiries from trail users
- Develop and implement educational programs that address safety and trail etiquette, including First Responder Training on Trails
- Manage outreach events
- Manage membership program
- Manage Three Rivers Heritage & Water Trail map updates and distribution
- Support trail users to become advocates for environmental conservation
- Increase low-impact recreational uses of trails and waterways
- Increase land trail use
- Increase water trail use via kayak, canoe, SUP, rather than powered recreational boating
Skills and Minimum Qualifications:
- Enthusiasm for trails, parks, and accessing the outdoors
- Experience coordinating and implementing successful community engagement events
- Experience developing communication plans that include social media, newsletters, website content
- Must have good interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be outgoing and able to engage various trail user groups
- Must have the ability to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned
- Must be attentive to detail and adaptive to change in an ever-changing field
- Friends is a hybrid at-home/office work environment. Some in-office work is expected, along with attendance at outreach events and on-trail events.
- During spring, summer, and fall, significant weekend and evening hours are required to attend on-trail events
- Some travel within Allegheny County is necessary to meet with communities, attend meetings, and events
Salary & Benefits:
- The Salary range for this position is $38,000 - $40,000, commensurate with experience.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance Stipend
- Life Insurance
- 15 days of vacation, increasing with additional years of employment
- 11 paid holidays, plus a paid holiday break between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day
- SIMPLE IRA retirement contribution after one year of employment
- $33/month cellphone stipend
- $1000/year professional development budget
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should submit their resumes and cover letter Caroline Woodward, Director of Development & Communications at email@example.com
As an equal-opportunity employer, Friends of the Riverfront prides itself in celebrating diversity and does not discriminate in any of its programs, policies, procedures, or employment practices on the basis of race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, pregnancy or related medical condition, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Friends of the Riverfront is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Pennsylvania Corporation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Developing and stewarding trails in Allegheny County.