Acculturation for Justice, Access and Peace Outreach (AJAPO)
Website Acculturation for Justice, Access and Peace Outreach (AJAPO)
(Full time: 40 hours week. Some evenings and weekends)
Established in 2001, Acculturation for Justice, Access and Peace Outreach (AJAPO) is a mutual assistance non profit based in Pittsburgh and providing services to refugees and immigrants from many parts of the world. AJAPO is a refugee resettlement agency.
AJAPO seeks to hire a Vocational/Employment Counsellor to manage refugee clients’ cases, place them in employment, assist them attain job retention and provide reporting as required by the funders. The vocational/employment counsellor will provide intake for employment services to clients, make assessments of clients’ job needs, assist them with resumes, job searches, and place them in jobs. He/she will serve as liaison between the clients and employers and provide advocacy and intervention when needed to ensure clients retain their jobs. In addition, he/she will perform the duties described below. The job requires a team player who will collaborate with other staff of the agency in carrying out the duties for this position. This is a great job for someone who has passion for diversity and work with immigrants.
- Provides intake for employment services to refugee/asylee/SIV clients from all countries served by AJAPO
- Provides individualized employability assessment
- Provides individualized employment plans and job development counseling.
- Assists with resume building and writing of cover letters for employment purposes
- Provides job search and job readiness services including clients’ training.
- Provides job placements for clients enrolled in the Refugee employment program
- Provides post employment services with the goal of clients’ job retention
- Escorts refugee clients to interviews and provides possible trouble shooting information to employers on challenges that may confront clients.
- Serves as liaison with education institutes, child care agencies, welfare, health centers/hospitals and any other agency that may affect employment retention and self sufficiency of clients.
- Connects with the Department of Human Services (Welfare Assistance Office) to request information for clients file records as required by funders.
- Collect required employment documents from employers on behalf of clients as required by funders.
- Plans, organizes and leads job-related workshops for clients and in some cases employers
- Maintains accurate case file notes for each client served
- Ensures weekly review of each case file for accuracy and completeness throughout the service period.
- Provides monthly reports for inclusion in agency master reports
- Provides grassroots clients data for inclusion in agency quarterly reports
- Attends external meetings on behalf of AJAPO agency
- Attends in-house and external trainings including agency staff meetings
- Willingness to travel outside Pittsburgh for trainings, meetings and conferences on behalf of AJAPO.
- Willingness to attend work related appointments or functions outside of traditional work hours as necessary.
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor
Minimum of Bachelors degree in humanities or related field of study from an accredited college or university.
Licensure: Valid Drivers License – PA driver’s license preferred.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS – Typical skills needed for the position:
- Decision Making Skills
- Planning and Organization Skills
- Problem Identification
- Results Oriented
Physical and Environmental Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of the demands that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential job functions of this position. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- Use of hands, wrists and fingers and lifting or moving up to 30 lbs will be required.
- This position requires spending a majority of the workday sitting and walking, with occasional standing.
- The position performs home visits and requires the ability to climb stairs.
- The selected applicant must be able to sit and drive a car.
Working Conditions: While this position is basically a day position, this person must be able to flex time when needed to meet client needs. Hence evenings and some weekend times are required.
AJAPO requires that persons in this position have Police, Child Line & FBI Clearances.
Salary Range : $31,000 – $33,000
Health Insurance, Life/Long and Short term disability, IRA
Send resume & letter of interest/application to: email@example.com by April 30, 2021
Subject line should read : AJAPO EMPLOYMENT/VOCATIONAL CASE MANAGER.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org