Acculturation for Justice, Access and Peace Outreach (AJAPO)
Website Acculturation for Justice, Access and Peace Outreach (AJAPO)
Established in 2001, Acculturation for Justice, Access and Peace Outreach (AJAPO) is a mutual assistance non profit based in Pittsburgh and providing services to refugees and immigrants from many parts of the world. AJAPO is a refugee resettlement agency affiliated with the Ethiopian Community Development Council as its national agency.
AJAPO seeks to hire 3 Resettlement and Placement Case Managers for refugee resettlement department. The case managers will work under the supervision of The resettlement Program Manager and AJAPO Program Coordinator for the Afghan Population resettlement. .
Job Description – Resettlement & Placement (R&P) Case Manager
Position Summary: FULL TIME 40 HOURS WEEK.
The purpose of the R&P Case Manager’s position is to provide intensive case management services primarily during the first 90-day period of refugee Reception & Placement. The duties cover a pre-arrival preparatory period up to 90 days post arrival.
The R&P Case Manager provides and documents these services in accordance with the guidelines listed in the Cooperative Agreement.
The R&P Case Manager is the first and very important service provider in the lives of newly arriving refugees, as such, they maintain regular and consistent contact with the refugee(s), assess and monitor refugees’ needs and goals, advocate on behalf of refugees to ensure that they receive benefits and quality services from external refugee service providers. R&P case managers also make internal referrals to other AJAPO departments as needed.
- Provides pre arrival services, which includes creation of case files and interaction with R&P Program Manager who may assign required duties based on arriving refugee needs.
- Meets refugees at airport and provides welcoming services based on training received from AJAPO.
- Provides intake to newly arriving refugees which includes assessment of clients’ needs and goals, information on expectations of the resettlement process and establishes a strong, supportive relationship with newly arriving refugees.
- Assists with moving into new home activities and process
- Educates clients throughout the R&P period on how to access needed services so that refugees are able to attain and maintain self-sufficiency with such services prior to exiting their placement period of 90 days.
- Provides core services to newly arriving refugees as mandated by the Department of State agreement for refugee resettlement. These include services such as applying for social security cards, public benefits, medical care and state IDs. Others include health screening, school enrollment for kids, ESL enrollment for adults and other required services.
- Assists newly arriving refugees to understand and interact with their new environment such as knowing where to shop for groceries and other family needs, how to ride on public transportation to get to the welfare office, downtown Pittsburgh, health appointments, ESL classes, and place of work.
- Participates in AJAPO internal staff meetings/trainings. Represents the agency at external meetings and reports back via supervisor.
- Works closely with other AJAPO staff within the agency as a team for smooth resettlement of refugees.
- Writes accurate case notes of all services provided based on training by AJAPO.
- Performs other duties as may be required by the supervisor.
- Must be able to work occasional hours outside of normal business hours or at weekends.
- ALL services are provided to non-English language speakers with the assistance of an interpreter, hence the case manager MUST have the ability to patiently explain information to refugee clients as services occur.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or humanities preferred. Minimum of l year experience providing social services and case management to refugees or 2 years of other social services in diverse environment.
- Fluency in English and one or more of the following languages is preferred: Arabic, Burmese, Chin, Kinyarwanda, Spanish, Swahili, Tigrinya, Urdu, Pashto, Dari, Punjabi or French will be an advantage.
- Ability to effectively communicate with clients of diverse cultural and language backgrounds and be comfortable in intercultural environments.
- Ability to be a self-starter with a high level of organizational skill, flexibility and commitment to refugees.
- Must be computer literate with proficiency/competency with Word, Excel, PDF and PowerPoint at minimum.
- Position requires that the incumbent drives a reliable vehicle and has a clean PA driver’s license.
Physical and Environmental Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of the demands that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential job functions of this position. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- Use of hands, wrists and fingers and lifting or moving up to 30 lbs will be required.
- This position requires spending a majority of the workday sitting and walking, with occasional standing.
- The position performs home visits and requires the ability to climb stairs.
- The selected applicant must be able to sit and drive a car.
Working Conditions: While this position is basically a day position, this person must be able to flex time when needed to meet client needs. Hence evenings and some weekend times are required.
AJAPO requires that persons in this position have Police, Child Line & FBI Clearances.
Position requires that the incumbent drives a reliable vehicle and has a clean PA driver’s license.
- Salary Range : $33,000 – $35,000 based on experience.
- Health Insurance, Life/Long and Short term disability, IRA
Send resume & letter of interest/application to: email@example.com
Subject line should read : AJAPO REFUGEE RESETTLEMENT CASE MANAGER.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org