Age-Friendly Greater Pittsburgh is dedicated to making our region more inclusive and respectful of all ages. Our mission is to bring generations together to reimagine how our neighborhoods are built and to advance equity through advocacy, education and innovation. A region that’s more accessible and welcoming is better for older people—and better for everyone.
We are looking for a Strategic Options Consultant (eight months; January-August 2021) to guide us as we establish an organizational structure to position the project for growth and sustainability. We need this structure in place by June 30, 2021.
Age-Friendly Greater Pittsburgh is an initiative of Southwestern Pennsylvania Partnership for Aging (SWPPA), a volunteer-led organization with 300+ members (business leaders, nonprofit professionals, scholars) representing more than one million older adults across 10 counties. Age-Friendly Greater Pittsburgh is funded primarily by the Henry L. Hillman Foundation, and currently has two full-time staffers.
The age-friendly framework—which is very broad, calling for accessible, user-friendly transportation, housing and more—was started by the World Health Organization and is led by AARP in the U.S., where there are 485 participating communities to date.
Phase I: Exploration
- Strategize with the SWPPA team about potential “homes” for Age-Friendly Greater Pittsburgh
- With deep understanding of the region, lead conversations about the pros and cons of embedding the project within a government, university, nonprofit organization or other entity, or establishing our own 501(c)(3)
- Advise regarding the implications of organizational structure on funding sustainability and partnership across sectors in the Pittsburgh region, pointing to examples of successful collaborations
- Counsel SWPPA team as we narrow and rank a list of potential options
- Organize and lead discussions between SWPPA team and potential organizational partners (i.e., prospective “homes” primarily)
- Leverage professional network to secure meetings with potential organizational partners
- Prepare all meeting materials, including a script with questions to ask potential partners
- Act as an advocate for Age-Friendly Greater Pittsburgh during discussions related to roles, expectations, benefits and structure (e.g., governance, reporting, departmental support)
- Arrange virtual meetings and handle all communication before and after
Phase II: Operational Transition
- Establish a course of action for the transition to a new organizational structure
- Lead negotiations as SWPPA develops an agreement(s) with an organizational partner(s), ensuring that it is reflective of conversations throughout the exploration process
- Develop a clear, user-friendly document that outlines Age-Friendly Greater Pittsburgh’s new organizational structure and operations
- Advise on how/when/what to communicate with key stakeholders, including Hillman, the SWPPA Board and other longtime partners
- A report documenting the exploration process, key learnings and decisions about organizational structure
- A presentation of this report to the SWPPA Board and other key stakeholders
- A document outlining the new organizational structure and operations
- Draft communications to stakeholders announcing new organizational structure
- Demonstrated success in nonprofit management consulting
- Excellent written, verbal, research, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to building relationships with partners from diverse personal and professional backgrounds
- Genuine interest in working on issues facing older adults and bridging gaps between generations
- Deep understanding of the business/government/nonprofit sectors in Allegheny County and Pittsburgh, as well as knowledge of the regional landscape
- Experience organizing and running virtual meetings
To Apply: Email a brief proposal along with a resume, relevant work sample, pricing and note of introduction to email@example.com with the subject line “Strategic Options Consultant.” Applications accepted through Monday, November 16.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org