Allegheny County Clean Air Now (ACCAN)
Website Allegheny County Clean Air Now (ACCAN)
ACCAN advocates for better air quality
Community and Campaign Outreach Organizer, ACCAN
Allegheny County Clean Air Now (ACCAN) is looking for an outstanding outreach organizer to support local community initiatives surrounding air quality issues in the Neville Island area in Allegheny County. The community organizer will assist with the coordination of campaigns around the area’s air quality problems focused on community health and quality of life.
Position: Community and Campaign Outreach Coordinator
Reporting To: ACCAN Board
Location: Flexible. Most work can be done remotely with at least once weekly in person visits to monitoring sites, etc.
- Work closely with ACCAN Board, with support from Breathe Project collaborative members
- Help manage and grow ACCAN’s Citizen Air Monitoring network of VOC monitors to include setting up new monitors; managing the monitor network; dealing with any problems that arise; and monitoring the data from these ACCAN monitors and other monitors in our airshed. This could include engaging youth (through the local school districts) in the collection and analysis of the data, perhaps by getting the activity approved as a Senior Project.
- Monitoring pollution sources of interest:
- Participate in in-person monitoring of pollution sources of interest, and submit complaints to the Health Dept.
- Add blog posts to the ACCAN website for those in-person complaints and for pollution events observed on video from the ACCAN 24/7 camera and submit complaints to the Health Department for those same events.
- Also make blog posts for complaints submitted by other ACCAN members
- Investigate ways to more effectively use all of the documentation on the blog which includes recorded events from 2018 to the present.
- Update airshed inventory and map of air pollution sources
- Organize and participate in community canvassing
- Attend monthly ACCAN meetings, bi-weekly ACCAN calls with the BREATHE Project and other air quality partners, monthly air data meetings and other meetings as needed. All meeting and calls are on Zoom at the present time. When/if monthly meetings do start in person, they will be held in Ben Avon at the Community Presbyterian Church of Ben Avon.
- Manage ACCAN’s social media including Facebook page and website (accan.org) and help to figure out the best ways to use these.
- Help develop social media campaigns and online petitions
- Assemble demographic data for communities in ACCAN’s airshed
- Prepare basic technical reports and write short communication pieces.
- Enhance community engagement
- Expand network of social media followers
- Inspire supporters/followers into engagement
- Help ACCAN grow a broader, more diverse coalition of members and followers.
- Build capacity/team for conducting community canvasses and surveys. Work with ACCAN to identify tools for strengthening community ties. This could include sessions to train residents on how to submit air quality complaints to the Health Department.
- Participate in tabling events
- Knowledge, a keen interest in and/or a connection to Allegheny County
- Familiarity with or interest in air quality advocacy, and, if possible, air quality regulations and the functioning of the Allegheny County Health Department Air Quality Division.
- Research Skills
- Community Organizing Skills
- Social Media Skills (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, text relay, etc.)
- Communication Skills
- Access to transportation desirable for certain tasks
How to Apply
Please email your resume and a cover letter along with two to three references by July 1, 2021 to: Karen Grzywinski, President, Allegheny County Clean Air Now (ACCAN) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be received until July 1, 2021 or until the position is filled.
c/o Community Presbyterian Church of Ben Avon
7501 Church Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15202
Include subject line: Outreach Coordinator
This is a part-time, contract position. ACCAN’s intention is that the contract will run from July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022, with a possible option to extend it.
Compensation will be commensurate with contract work and experience of the applicant.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com