Allegheny County Conservation District
Website Allegheny County Conservation District
Allegheny County Conservation District (ACCD) is part of a national regulatory network tasked with the mission to protect, conserve, promote and improve our natural resources. ACCD is an innovative district with a diverse program portfolio including urban and rural agriculture, stewardship and improvements to watersheds and wetlands, and state delegated regulatory enforcement of PA Chapter 102 and 105 Acts which protect soil and water.
Allegheny County Conservation District (ACCD) is hiring a full time Resource Conservationist. The District’s goal is to protect our watersheds from becoming impaired by non-point sources of pollution, such as sedimentation. Under a delegation agreement with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP), ACCD conducts technical assistance, inspections, and enforcement actions when appropriate to mitigate the effects of non-point sources of pollution in accordance with the Clean Streams Law, National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits, and Chapter 102 Erosion and Sediment Pollution Control and Chapter 105, Water Obstructions and Encroachments.
There are two primary functions of this position: permit reviews and inspections related to the Chapter 102 and 105 programs. First, this position is responsible for inspections of erosion and sediment controls on NPDES permitted construction sites and investigation of complaints related to construction activities and waterway obstructions, issuing appropriate reports and other communications regarding findings. The Resource Conservationist will also review erosion and sediment control plans, provide technical assistance and education to the public, government agencies, technical professionals and others.
Working Conditions, Work Ethic and Interpersonal Expectations
ACCD is committed to protecting staff and community health during the COVID-19 pandemic. As such, ACCD is conducting all administrative work remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and is conducting field work with safety protocols in place. The position will divide time between the office and field when the public health crisis abates.
This position must have:
- High drive for performance, learning, self-motivated work ethic, and critical thinking. x Exceptional communications skills, verbal and written.
- Experience working remotely from home with limited supervision in team and individual functions.
- Home access to high speed internet connection as well as familiarity with Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Google Suite and other communication platforms. ACCD will provide necessary equipment such as hardware, software and PPE.
- Exceptional time management: able to pivot between field work, meetings and administrative tasks in an accurate and timely way.
- Analytic skills to create insightful reports based on field work findings.
- Cooperative personality, courteous, respectful and high integrity.
- Physically able to work in outdoor environments with uneven terrain, variable outdoor conditions; working in active construction sites with heavy earth moving equipment, with or without accommodations.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 1-2 years of relevant experience; Associate’s Degree + 3-5 years of relevant experience or some combination of industry experience.
- The most desirable candidates will hold a degree or have a background in: environmental science, geology, hydrology, earth sciences, natural resource management, conservation, code enforcement, engineering, environmental inspection, site development, stormwater or earthmoving work.
- Desirable technology related skill sets include: data management and analysis, GIS knowledge, Adobe Pro, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and other common office and web based platforms. The ability to learn proprietary record keeping systems is required.
- Experience in or ability to learn and understand how to read construction plans, construction sequencing, and translate plan information to the field.
- Working knowledge of Allegheny County’s municipal structure, Sunshine Law and Right to Know Request processes is an asset.
ACCD offers a competitive total compensation package including a 3% Simple IRA match, health insurance with family coverage, short and long term disability insurance, life insurance, paid sick, generous paid holidays and vacation in accordance with the ACCD Employee Manual.
ACCD is an Equal Opportunity Employer
ACCD is an EOE employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. ACCD follows Pennsylvania’s at will employment policy. People of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must provide references upon request and pass background checks as a condition of employment, these are two factors in determining candidacy. To apply, please email cover letter, resume and three references with ‘Resource Conservationist’ in the subject line to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org