Allegheny County Conservation District
Website Allegheny County Conservation District
Full Time Opportunity
Allegheny County Conservation District (ACCD) is tasked with the mission to protect, conserve, promote, and improve our natural resources. The organization is currently celebrating its 75th year and has roots in soil and water conservation efforts that arose during the dust bowl. ACCD’s diverse program portfolio includes technical assistance for urban and rural agriculture operations, improvements to watersheds and wetlands, and regulatory enforcement of PA Chapter 102 and 105 Acts, which protect soil and water and are administered in concert with PA DEP.
The Director of Operations (DO), under the direction of the Assistant Director and in close collaboration with ACCD’s Executive Director and Shared CFO, is responsible for managing internal financial operations, ensuring smooth organizational operations, overseeing human resource records, and employing high level project management tools to support Leadership Team Initiatives.
The DO is a pivotal position in ensuring smooth operations and a supported work experience for staff. Essential skills include a proactive, self-directed, highly communicative, confident and flexible approach to work with demonstrated project management experience and well-developed problem-solving skills. These skills must be applied to move forward both independent and team projects with accountability and time-sensitivity.
The prioritized responsibilities of this position include:
Lead and Manage Internal Financial Operations
- Approve purchase orders, record deposits and payables, and reconcile credit card statements, ensure expenditures are in line with the annual budget.
- Manage electronic payment processing systems, training of staff on billing procedures and documentation of procedures.
- Prepare all required documentation for weekly meeting with contract Bookkeeper and maintain the filing of all invoices, cash receipts, and contracts.
- Maintain time management system, run payroll, and communicate with supervisors and payroll processing company on items.
- Function as point person to collect activity reports, generate financial statements, and submit state contract reports.
- Prepare QuickBooks reports as requested for accountant, program and grant documentation.
- Collect W-9 documentation for 1099 vendor form processing, and issue corresponding engagement documentation to 1099 vendors.
- Work with the Shared CFO to assist with the annual audit, budget preparation, fiscal close procedures, and other required internal and external reporting
- Liaise with the Shared Chief Financial Officer, and other duties as assigned
Direct and Manage Operational Projects
- Synthesize complex information and craft briefs and executive summaries.
- Conduct benchmarking research, craft and circulate RFP’s for various priority projects as identified by leadership.
- Develop a policy and procedure manual to ensure ACCD is in compliance with applicable local, federal, and state regulations and laws governing business operations.
- Remain current on changes within the legal, regulatory, economic, and technology environments, which may affect the financial and administrative operations of the organization.
- Build and maintain relationships with external partners and vendors to make decisions regarding operational activity and strategic goals.
- Provide task and oversight support for any COVID-related issues, including internal exposure tracking, external communications and operations recommendations to the Leadership Team as new public health developments evolve.
- Project manage office space study and reopening plan in partnership with committee members. This will include policy development, logistical planning, reservation system development and relationship management with architect and landlord.
Maintain and Curate Human Resources Records
- Onboard new staff, benefits enrollment, and maintain HR records.
- Assist in preparation of materials for annual evaluations and increases. Lead annual open enrollment with vendors.
- Participate in HR professional development training to stay aware of updates and liaise with ACCD’s HR Consultant.
Provide Executive Support
- Provide support for Board meetings including assistance with preparation of board packets and meeting minutes, gathering components from staff.
- Keep updated Board contact list, assist in all aspects of meeting planning and implementation including set-up, break-down, and other tasks as needed.
- Assist with logistics and planning for meetings and high-level communications.
- Create meeting agendas and curate notes.
Oversee Facility Maintenance
- Oversee the administrative property management functions, including, but not limited to, asset management, inventory management, preventive maintenance, capital improvement projects, procurement, and regulatory compliance.
- Order office supplies and maintain all office operational needs, including relationships with vendors.
- Process incoming USPS mail, scan and/or distribute to staff electronically as needed.
- Monitor and Improve Information Technology
- Liaise with vendors to ensure ACCD’s communication and IT systems function without interruptions.
- Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals, ensure sensitive information is handled and saved according to best practices.
- Provide security and oversight of organizational credentials in password keeping system.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in operations management, financial and account reporting, or project management. A minimum of 5-7 years of experience preferred.
- QuickBooks, MS Office, Microsoft Teams Google Suite, spreadsheets and understanding of data bases.
- Proven track record of systems level and strategic thinking, working well under pressure, managing details of several concurrent projects with a keen result- focused orientation, and clearly communicating about tasks.
- Possession of excellent organizational skills, detail-orientated and task-driven.
- Ensures confidentiality of information and supports rules and ethics of the organization
- Demonstrates proactive problem solving, leadership, conflict management and team building skills to ensure a productive work environment and achievement of goals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and time management skills.
- Able to establish and maintain collaborations with external vendors.
- Embodies excellent project management, problem-solving, and decisiveness.
- Proven ability to work with diverse audiences as well as working knowledge of community needs and initiatives.
This position is full time exempt. The total compensation package includes a competitive salary, 3% Simple IRA match, health insurance with family coverage, short and long term disability insurance, life insurance, paid sick, personal leave, generous paid holidays and vacation in accordance with the ACCD Employee Manual.
ACCD is an Equal Opportunity Employer
ACCD is an EOE employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. ACCD follows Pennsylvania’s at-will employment policy. People of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must pass background checks as a condition of employment. We highly encourage our employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to protect themselves, their colleagues and the community.
To apply, please email cover letter, resume and three references with ‘Director of Operations’ in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job please visit www.conservationsolutioncenter.org.