Allegheny County Conservation District
Website Allegheny County Conservation District
Description: ACCD is looking for a motivated, engaged student to join our programming team as a summer/fall intern. As a leading conservation organization in Allegheny County, ACCD works with a diverse array of stakeholder to address critical conservation needs and restore environmental quality to impacted landscapes. The internship position will work closely with our watershed and urban/rural agriculture staff. Tasks include:
- Assisting with environmental data collection, including water quality and soil monitoring, macroinvertebrate collection, and other types of field sampling.
- Planting and maintenance of riparian buffers.
- Assisting with development and collection of public outreach materials and media on non-point source pollution issues.
- Become familiar with current land use practices, innovative planning techniques and BMPs as they apply to water and soil conservation.
- Assisting with research projects and larger collaborative initiatives as needed.
- Helping to plan and table at community events, pending allowance per CDC guidance.
Pay Rate: The position is for 20 hours per week from May through October 2021 and is paid an hourly rate of $15/hour.
Requirements: A passion for the environment is necessary, as is a willingness to traverse and work in a variety of landscapes (streams, farms, vacant lots, community gardens) and engage with a diverse array of stakeholders. Possession of a valid driver’s license and ownership of a vehicle for travel is also a requirement. Applicants should have some command of Microsoft office (word, excel, etc.) and familiarity with GIS programs such as ArcMap. Some prior experience with outreach, community engagement.
To Apply: Questions and resumes/cover letters may be submitted via email to Amy Miller, Watershed Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the District: The Allegheny County Conservation District is an urban conservation district that engages and leads through partnerships, innovation, and implementation to conserve, promote, and improve Allegheny County’s natural resources. The Allegheny County Conservation District offers services and programs to residents through its Conservation Solution Center, which houses four unique focuses: Watersheds, Soils, Agriculture, and Stormwater.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com