Allegheny County Department of Human Services
Website Allegheny County Department of Human Services
About Allegheny County Department of Human Services (DHS)
In Allegheny County, we appreciate people who think big, act boldly and care about making a difference. You don’t have to be from here to feel at home, or to make your mark. With only 1.3 million people in the County, it is small enough for motivated people to get things done. Allegheny County’s Department of Human Services (DHS) is a perfect place to get things done that directly affect people in need in a positive and lasting way. We help children grow up safer and healthier, older adults remain able to live independently, and neighborhoods to thrive. Our mission is to improve the health and well-being of people in Allegheny County.
We are currently seeking a Finance Administrator (FM) as a key member of the DHS team. Reporting to and partnering with the Deputy Director over the Office of Administration, The FM will set financial policy and direction of the Allegheny County Department of Human Services (ACDHS) while also being and active participant in, and driver of, ACDHS’s overall strategy. The FM is a mission-focused and energetic leader who helps drive the continuous quality improvement and performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals that make DHS a national Leader.
- Mange and oversee the fiscal operations for ACDHS.
- Accounts Payable including procedures to provide for payment of services and reimbursement of expenditures to agencies.
- Accounting including standards for the internal account structure, procedures for preparation and submission of statements and reports in accordance with established standards and procedures.
- Financial Planning and Analysis including budgetary development and control procedures and financial analysis designed to maximize revenue
- Ensures each key function operates consistent with the established policies and procedures to facilitate efficiency and accuracy.
- Customize internal policy and procedures as needed to maximize effectiveness in each key function.
- ACDHS employs multiple technology system to support its accounting and billing functions. Ability to understand these various systems, identify automation opportunities, and implement technology-based controls is imperative.
- Coordinate with managers and staff within the key functions as needed to troubleshoot financial issues.
- Supervise the work of fiscal managers in the key functions.
- Recruits and hires fiscal managers.
- Establish priorities and performance standards for fiscal operations.
- Conduct regular meetings with fiscal managers.
- Provide technical guidance when necessary.
- Resolve problems in the fiscal areas.
- Prepare and review performance evaluation reports for staff.
- Provide for in-service training and training programs to benefit staff.
- Plan and direct fiscal operations and activities through fiscal managers.
- Coordinate with Accounts Payable to ensure timely processing and compliance with federal, state, and private funding guidelines.
- Coordinate the accounts payable function with the County Controller’s and Treasurer’s offices.
- Oversee administration of all federal, state, and private revenue and grants.
- Direct the design and maintenance of all computerized accounting ledgers.
- Review data accumulated in support of the budget development and direct the budgetary process.
- Review budget to actual comparisons and analysis, monitor progress and present operational metrics both internally and externally.
- Manage and report on cash positions by grant, cash flow, and forecasting.
- Establish strong relationships with internal stakeholders, overseeing and creating effective lines of communication.
- Provide timely financial reports/analysis/advice to assist with organizational decision making.
- Develop standard processes for financial decisions that best utilize available funding and allow ACDHS to maximize the delivery of service.
- Create a central repository that maintains the necessary compliance data to support the financial decision-making process.
- Ensure the central data repository is kept up to date as regulations are added/changed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Principles and practices of budget administration with special reference to governmental procedures, practices and objectives
- Current theory in budget administration
- Principles and practices of governmental accounting
- Principles and practices of supervision and office management
- Establish and maintain working relationships with associates, subordinates, and representatives of other governmental and private sector agencies
A Bachelor’s degree AND five (5) years of professional experience in fiscal management, auditing, economic analysis, fiscal planning, budget systems analysis or related field; to include three (3) years in a supervisory or administrative capacity. An equivalent combination of experience and education may be substituted.
It is innovative. Most recently, the national attention and awards we’ve gotten are for how DHS integrates data and uses them to improve the safety and well-being of children through tools that support front-line staff in making decisions (using predictive analytics).
DHS is diverse, but we strive to be even more inclusive. Our director has made it his top priority that DHS is “the kind of place where a diverse group of talented people want to come, grow, and do their best work.” This includes equity in hiring and advancement, as well as in unleashing the creativity and ideas of staff at every level of DHS.
It has strong, assertive leaders. We do not hire yes-people.
You can make a big impact here. We stand out as one of the best human services organizations in the country. But we need problem-solvers, innovators, and terrific leaders to make sure we are smart in how we use our funding so that we reach the people who most need our help to make their lives better. We invite you to click here to apply today.
“DHS strives to be the kind of place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come to grow and do their best work.”
-From the organization’s statement on Equity and Inclusion
To apply for this job please visit www.alleghenycounty.us.