Website Amachi Pittsburgh
Thriving beyond the trauma of parental incarceration
The Director of Development and Communications will be a full-time position that seeks to head our ongoing fundraising and communications needs. Reporting to the executive director, this professional must have an established background in coordinating nonprofit donation strategies and staff/volunteer leadership. This role involves organizing large-scale fundraising initiatives, working with board members, managing our annual-fund, and building relationships with donors, staff, and volunteers. The development director will also assist the executive director with establishing an annual fundraising program that will generate reliable and diverse revenue streams that can maximize bi-annual special events and special projects and sustain growth and development of these efforts.
The DoD/C is familiar with CRM nonprofit software, e.g., Salsa, a donor database, and other fundraising technology used in their daily job duties. This position will build and implement a broad range of communication/marketing and development activities and will focus on building relationships with a variety of key audiences, including funders, individual donors, and the community at large, etc. The goal is to advance Amachi’s position with these relevant audiences, as well as to drive broader awareness of mentoring within the community and to increase donor support and funding opportunities for the organization. The DoD/C will serve as the staff lead in the areas of development and communications and will ensure readiness for the successful expansion of staff capacity to support growth and sustainability in 2022.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director. The development and communications associates’ positions will report to this position.
- Develop in collaboration with leadership team(especially the executive director) and implement yearly fundraising development plan that aligns with Amachi’s Strategic Plan and annual fundraising goals
- Draft/compile/organize grant language to ensure consistency throughout standard sections of grant requests
- Serve as staff liaison for Amachi’s Board Development Committee and ensure all activities align with Amachi’s mission and goals
- Establish an annual fundraising program that will generate reliable and diverse revenue streams that can maximize bi-annual special events and special projects and sustain growth and development of these efforts. (e.g., Hachi Pachi, an anticipated and forecasted biannual event reflected in annual financial and strategic goals.)
- Plan and direct all aspects of marketing/communications outreach initiatives, providing alignment with mission and overall strategic plan.
- Increase awareness of Amachi’s programs and priorities and increase visibility of this information across key funding audiences
- Serve as staff communications liaison for the Amachi Board and ensure all activities align with mission, key stakeholder, and funder goals
- Work closely with executive director to determine and identify viable revenue streams
- Create and maintain tracker of potential donors based on engagement/activity with them through other avenues of work (Hachi Pachi, Amachi Bike Ride, etc.)
- Expand and diversify donor base to secure annual funding strategies
- Draft and maintain regular correspondence with key individual donors on behalf of Amachi and Board of Directors to keep them engaged with our work
- Monitor community trends and identify opportunities for cultivating relationships with existing and potential funders, both on the foundation and corporate sides
- Create an Amachi At-A-Glance (updated regularly with key work outputs) to share with new funders and existing funders at yearly visits or check-in calls
- Create and leverage consistent messaging to equip Board of Directors and staff to act as support for Executive Director, who will continue to serve as main point of contact for funders
- Create a yearly tracker for grant/proposal submissions, major donations, upcoming opportunities, reporting deadlines, etc.
- In partnership with the executive director identify appropriate grant opportunities and draft/submit grants and grant reports on behalf of Amachi.
Special Fundraising Initiatives
- Develop and implement fundraising plans as needed for individual initiatives including annual appeals, special campaigns for new initiatives, etc.
- Communication-Effective in multiple modes of two-way communication including verbal, written, listening, negotiation and presentation.
- Relationship Building-Develops strong working relationships with individuals internally and externally to achieve goals.
- Effective Time Management-Demonstrated ability to manage resources and time to accomplish goals and meet deadlines.
- Agility-Ability to adjust behaviors, attitudes, and work processes to meet the changing needs of the clients, community, and organization. Brings innovative and creative ideas and solutions to Amachi.
- Client Focus-Deliver’s service to meet expectations of both internal and external clients, stakeholders through the establishing of strong relationships.
- Critical Thinker-Works through challenges using a logical process to generate solutions or decisions. Explores new concepts with creativity and enthusiasm.
- Teamwork-Participates and collaborates with other team members. At all levels builds effective teams to achieve Amachi’ s organizational strategy.
- Results Focused-Sets appropriate goals and gets the job done. Responds to a challenge with drive and enthusiasm.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- BS, or BA(Masters preferred) from an accredited college or university or related field or 10 years of equivalent experience.
- 5-7 years of demonstrated ability or experience with fund development experience, preferably in the education and nonprofit fields.
- Able to pass Act 33/34 and FBI Clearances
- Valid PA driver’s license with a clean driving record and a reliable personal vehicle
- Proficient with technology on a variety of platforms e.g., Microsoft Office Applications, social media, Zoom, and Teams.
- Experience working with community partners, foundations, and government agencies.
- Experience motivating and supporting others.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org