American Red Cross Greater Pennsylvania Region
Website American Red Cross Greater Pennsylvania Region
The Duty Officer is the member of the Disaster Action Team that receives the initial call with a request for help from our Red Cross Dispatch Center. That individual collects information about the event, verifies it with the local 911 Center, FD, etc. and then determines if a Red Cross response is required. If it is, they call out a team that will go respond to the event and aid those displaced.
The role can be done remotely following training, and it does require reliable phone and internet connection. We use a wed-based system to update the status of our events, so volunteers must be comfortable with learning an online system.
- May determine if Red Cross action is required; may decide if Red Cross will respond via Disaster Action Team.
- Uses event triggers such as size, scope, and type of the event to direct the Disaster Action Team response.
- Works with on-scene Disaster Action Team leadership to support the response and provide technical guidance.
- Support and trains new Duty Officers.
- Dispatch Disaster Action Team Members and monitor the response to ensure appropriate resources are made available. Activate Disaster Health Services, Disaster Mental Health, and Disaster Spiritual Care, Public Affairs when requested.
- Documents incoming disaster notification and creates & verifies events in RC View, when applicable.
- Where appropriate, maintains access to and ability to use the Client Assistance System (CAS) to enter case data and load CACs.
- May be required to monitor activity across multiple Disaster Action Team responses.
- Notify Chapter and Regional staff of significant events, and contribute to an Initial Incident Report, when appropriate.
- Attends regularly scheduled team/DAT meetings as required by Chapter/Region.
Very Flexible hours. We are asking for those who can make schedules available to be on call for three six hour shift per month. The 3 six hour increments can be set during the volunteer’s open availability anytime day or night.
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission of the American Red Cross.
- Ability to remotely monitor and track details of Disaster Action Team responses.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in complex and stressful situations.
- Proficient with Red Cross systems and online interfaces.
- Sit and/or stand for minimum two-hour periods.
- Work for long periods on computer.
- Speak clearly on the phone and in person.
Relationships: Works closely with all other DAT Members to ensure team goals are achieved.
Length of Appointment: Once trained, may remain active as long as able to perform the assigned tasks.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com