BikePGH, a nonprofit bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organization, is seeking a highly organized individual with excellent communication skills to coordinate volunteers and event logistics. If you are passionate about biking and walking, active transportation, and engaging the community through events such as OpenStreetsPGH, PedalPGH, The WMNBikePGH Summit, Bike Anywhere Week, and more, this is your chance to make a difference in the lives of thousands of Pittsburghers.
BikePGH is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion not only in how we shape our strategic goals and organizational work but who we employ on our staff and the volunteers on our board of directors. In recruiting for our organization, we welcome the life experiences that are shaped in part by, education, race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetics, disability, age, languages spoken, or veteran’s status.
Title: Volunteer & Events Coordinator
Position: Full-time, Exempt
Target Start: June 2021
Salary: $34,000 – $39,000 annually depending upon the relevancy of experience Hours: On average 40 hours per week, Often M-F 9-5 plus some work on weeknights and weekends in order to attend events.
Benefits: Full-time benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance as well as generous PTO and 401(k) benefits as outlined in BikePGH’s employee manual.
Reports to: Events Director
Mission: BikePGH is transforming our streets to make biking and walking commonplace for all Pittsburghers in order to improve our quality of life and reduce the harmful effects of car dependence in our communities.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Recruit and retain volunteers and through a monthly newsletter, email, and in-person communications;
- Schedule and communicate with volunteers;
- Manage volunteers at BikePGH events and monthly volunteer nights;
- Keep accurate records of volunteers and volunteer hours in a database;
- Create documents such as guides, maps, and instructions for volunteer use at events;
- Coordinate volunteer appreciation events.
Community Outreach for Events
- Build and maintain relationships with neighborhood constituents, businesses, and community groups;
- Represent BikePGH events at community meetings;
- Plan on-the-ground community outreach as it relates to BikePGH events;
- Keep accurate records of communications with community contacts;
- Work with the communications team to create digital and print materials to share information about events.
- Recruit, select, coordinate, and communicate with partners and vendors participating in events. Manage partners and vendors on the event day;
- Assist Events Director with logistics with City departments, police, Port Authority, PennDOT, RoadSafe, and rental suppliers as it relates to events;
- Create documents such as route maps, diagrams, and information sheets to communicate about events with government agencies, event participants, and the general public;
- Maintain detailed logistics spreadsheets for OpenStreetsPGH and PedalPGH, and implement plans on the event day.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively;
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team;
- Comfort and confidence with public speaking and presenting information to the general public;
- Passion for the mission of BikePGH and a strong interest in bicycle and pedestrian advocacy.
- Natural ability to make people feel welcome, appreciated, and part of a community.
Experience & Education Requirements:
- Volunteer recruitment, scheduling, and coordination;
- Community organizing and community engagement;
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Valid Driver’s License.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Work is typically performed in an office setting but currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Travel within the community and to BikePGH events will be required when safe to do so;
- Occasional evening and weekend work will be required;
- Utilizes normal speech and hearing necessary for extensive conversation;
- Varied activities including sitting, reaching, bending, lifting up to 30lbs, pushing/pulling, walking, or assisted walking via wheelchair or mobility device.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How To Apply:
Write a compelling cover letter and submit it along with a resume. Be sure to mention where you saw the opening advertised.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through mid-May 2021 and considered until the position is filled. The ideal candidate would start employment no later than mid-June 2021.
Please send an email with a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Volunteer & Events Coordinator” in the subject line.
Please enclose your resume and cover letter in a sealed envelope and mail to:
188 43rd Street, #1
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com