Department(s): Government Affairs
Reports to: Executive Director, Public Affairs
FLSA status: Exempt
Salary Grade: N – $95,000 – $133,000
The Manager of Government Affairs is responsible for leading CalOptima’s advocacy efforts. Specifically, the incumbent ensures that CalOptima’s strategic goals and objectives are communicated to key elected officials and that CalOptima’s strong reputation is maintained. The Manager, Government Affairs monitors legislation, advances CalOptima’s legislative agenda, and maintains relationships with state, federal, and locally elected officials. This position is charged with the responsibility of being the health care policy expert, and is often called upon to make presentations locally, statewide, and nationwide on different policy topics, including Medicaid, Medicare, Health Care Reform, etc. The manager also serves the role of helping explain health care policy issues to internal staff at meetings such as Boot Camp for new employees. Also serves as CalOptima’s liaison to industry associations that provide program support and represents CalOptima in Sacramento and in Washington, D.C.
- Supports the Executive Director of Public Affairs in crafting and executing CalOptima’s legislative agenda.
- Manages daily relationships with legislative offices.
- Drafts legislative updates and summaries for communication to CalOptima’s Board of Directors, Executive Staff, Advisory Committees, and elected officials.
- Provides communications tools for senior management, including PowerPoint presentations, scripts, and talking points.
- Directs the activities of state and federal lobbyists.
- Travels to Sacramento and Washington, D.C. to provide legislative briefings as needed.
- Serves as the key policy staff for participation in CalOptima’s Speakers Bureau Program.
- Tracks and analyzes legislative bills throughout the session.
- Supports other activities and assignments in the Public Affairs and Government Affairs departments.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
Possesses the Ability To:
- Demonstrate excellent writing and analytical skills; demonstrable leadership skills, including strong interpersonal skills and a team-orientation.
- Work under pressure and to encourage peers and external stakeholders to work collaboratively.
- Frequent travel locally, statewide, and nationally may be required for the position.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Utilize computer and appropriate software (e.g., Microsoft Office: Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and job specific applications/systems to produce correspondence, charts, spreadsheets, and/or other information applicable to the position assignment.
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Affairs, Healthcare Administration, or other related field required.
- 3+ years of experience in Government Affairs required.
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle, or other approved means of transportation, an acceptable driving record, and current auto insurance will be required for work away from the primary office 25% of the time or more.
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Public Affairs, Healthcare Administration, or other related field preferred.
- Medi-Cal and Medicare programs.
- California’s legislative processes.
CalOptima is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions on the basis of merit. CalOptima wants to have qualified employees in every job position. CalOptima prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee, or applicant for employment, based on race, religion/religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transitioning status, age, sexual orientation, immigration status, military status as a disabled veteran, or veteran of the Vietnam era, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. CalOptima also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has, or is perceived as having, any of those characteristics.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Human Resources Disability Management at 657-900-1134.
Job Location: Orange, California
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/2778584
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.