Website Carlow University
Founded in 1929 by the Sisters of Mercy, Carlow University is a Catholic, master’s comprehensive institution grounded in the liberal arts with strong professional programs, committed to engaging its diverse community in a process of life-long learning, scholarship, research and service. Degrees are offered at the baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral levels to 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Academic degree programs are housed within two colleges: The College of Health and Wellness and the College of Arts and Sciences. Carlow University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. It is proud to be a College of Distinction and a Catholic College of Distinction. Carlow is regionally ranked by US News & World Report. The University is affiliated with the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletics Association (USCAA) and is a member of the NAIA’s River States Conference.
Carlow University, located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is situated in the vibrant Oakland neighborhood — the “Eds, Meds, and Tech” heart of the city. Consistently voted one of America’s most livable cities, Pittsburgh is home to Uber, Intel, and Apple offices and offers multiple educational, recreational, and cultural opportunities. The Atlantic has called it “a haven for edgy, innovative startups that share the city’s tech oxygen with internationally known tech companies, such as Google and Disney Research.”
Carlow University invites applications for the position of Chief of Staff to the President and Secretary to the Board of Trustees. This position works closely with the President on a wide variety of administrative and executive duties, special projects, and initiatives involving the President’s office and its priorities. The Chief of Staff is responsible for serving main point of contact between the University President and other stakeholders to accomplish initiatives to include: promoting and supporting the mission and values of Carlow University; serving as Secretary to the Board of Trustees and its governance; functioning as representative for governmental relations and other key community relations; overseeing the administrative, operational, and financial affairs of the Office of President; developing and coordinating special and high-priority projects and initiatives; handling questions, concerns, issues and requests on the Presidents behalf as directed; serving as an advisor to the President on various operational issues; coordinating communications and preparing special correspondence; and serving as a liaison to the Carlow University Board of Trustees and a variety of internal and external constituencies.
- Serves as Secretary to the Board of Trustees and works closely with the President in Board-related communications and initiatives.
- Represents the President to various constituencies, both internal and external, to include local, state and regional governmental officials and groups with respect to the University’s involvement in research, strategic efforts and initiatives and related activities.
- Represents the University as needed both locally and regionally as well as keep abreast of local, state and regional events and issues relative to Carlow University’s involvement.
- Directs special projects and programs as initiated by the President to include the President’s Advisory Council.
- Works in coordination with other offices for special events and functions of the Office of the President as directed by the President.
- Works closely with the University Communications staff on message strategies and consistency, and assists in preparation and coordination of special correspondence for the President as requested
- Assists the President and appropriate members of the Cabinet with the coordination, facilitation, and advancement of University priorities and other initiatives involving the University’s relationship with local, state and/or regional agencies, representatives, their staff members, and committees.
- Assists the President in managing priorities to maximize these relationships with the Board, donors, alumni, students, and other key groups and individuals, under the direction and coordination of the President.
- Handles queries, questions, concerns, and requests on behalf of the President working to solve problems, mediate disputes, and work proactively with issues and people.
- Supports and assists the President in carrying out the mission of the University.
We seek an innovative leader with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s degree or Juris Doctor degree preferred.
- A minimum of seven (7) years professional administration experience supporting senior level managers required.
- Experience supporting senior level managers in higher education or related environment strongly preferred.
- Governmental and external relations experience preferred.
- Ability to operate flexibly and consistently in working with the President.
- Ability to represent the President in making decisions that require mature judgment.
- Working knowledge of policies, operations, and practices in higher education is preferred.
- Expertise in prioritizing workflow, managing resources, and overseeing financial and budget matters.
- Strong and proven project management competencies.
- Detail oriented in coordinating activities.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to collect and analyze data and information, draw conclusions, and produce reports and recommendations.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with personnel matters and sensitive information.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University’s resources, avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and professional obligations.
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our University community.
To apply for this job please visit www.carlow.edu.