Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
Website Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
Job Summary: The Specialist will be a people-oriented resource for all labor and employee relations situations. Participate in employee and labor relations matters, assisting staff and supervisors with routine and complex issues, including performance management, investigations and policy and contract interpretation and administration. Responsible for gathering, maintaining and managing related documents, information and records. Requires high level of recognition for confidentiality, privacy and concern for staff. The Specialist will engage with a diverse staff throughout the employment lifecycle to be a liaison and provide access to available resources.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Handles labor relations and human resource inquiries related to policies, procedures, and bargaining agreements; refers complex matters to appropriate management staff;
- Serves as the initial contact and liaison for intake and assessment of complaints as well as minor issues;
- Maintains understanding of CLP policies and procedures and associated collective bargaining agreements;
- Maintains knowledge and understanding of laws and regulations related to collective bargaining, labor relations, and human resources;
- Conducts interviews and gathers information for employee relations matters such as grievances, workplace complaints, or other concerns;
- Delivers trainings, programs and presentations;
- Manages and prepares documents and records required and related to employee issues, meetings, and union-related assignments;
- Collects information and data to assess cost and policy implications of various proposals, wages, benefits, working conditions, and other mitigating circumstances;
- Conducts surveys, interviews, and other research related to human resource policies, compensation, benefits, and other related practices;
- Ensures organizational compliance with postings and related information;
- Assists with preparation of plans, policies, documents, and reports including EEO-1, affirmative action plans, organizational charts, agreements, and employee handbooks;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations, or related field;
- Demonstrated experience in customer service, conflict resolution, and policy application;
- Two or more years of professional human resource administration and employee relations;
- Alternate combination of experience and education may be considered;
- Experience working in a union environment;
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply applicable policy and contract provisions;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to engage all types of people;
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills;
- Ability to understand and enforce privacy and confidentiality in appropriate activities;
- Excellent time management skills with the proven ability to meet deadlines;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Thorough understanding of laws, regulations, and guidelines related to HR and collective bargaining agreements;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, HRIS, and case management and related software;
- Physical ability to lift light loads (20+ pounds), reach, bend, and stoop;
- Ability to perform desk and computer work for prolonged periods;
- Ability to occasionally deliver programs and presentations that may require prolonged periods of speaking;
- Local travel required (generally 20%); requires ability to independently travel;
- PA State Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, and Credit Check upon offer of employment.
Work Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Generally 9 am – 5 pm but must be available for extended hours as required.
Salary: $18 – $24 per hour
To apply for this job please visit cssclp.sentrichr.com.