Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Website Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Carnegie Museum of Natural History, one of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, is among the top natural history museums in the country. It maintains, preserves, and interprets an extraordinary collection of artifacts, objects, and scientific specimens used to broaden understanding of evolution, conservation, and biodiversity. Carnegie Museum of Natural History generates new scientific knowledge, advances science literacy, and inspires visitors of all ages to become passionate about science, nature, and world cultures.
Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh is interested in candidates who, through their experience and collaborations, will contribute to diversity and excellence of the Carnegie Museums community.
The Web Developer, reporting to Assistant Director of Marketing, collaborates closely with designers and content writers to create an exceptional website experience. Interprets and executes designs correctly. As a member of the CMNH Marketing team, the web developer collaborates on the design and development of web applications, digital infrastructure, and visitor-facing digital projects. Excellent communicator who works well in a team environment and effective at managing projects, timelines, and tight deadlines. Maintains a strong working relationship with marketing colleagues, other Carnegie Museum website managers and with the IT department at Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in computer science and experience in web design (professional or volunteer), or two-year degree and one years’ professional experience in web design.
- Must have strong working knowledge of WordPress, HTML, PHP, and current web technologies, and of the principles and practices of good web design.
- Portfolio must be presented.
- Must be creative, deadline oriented, and have the ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in order to meet deadlines and user demands; ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Deep knowledge of WordPress and proven ability to build custom theme-based websites using PHP.
- Experience with responsive and mobile design.
- Experience de-bugging cross-browser issues and troubleshooting WordPress themes.
- Deploy websites from staging server to live environment.
- Familiarity with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1).
- Familiarity coding responsive email templates.
- Detail oriented and able to collaborate with design team to provide input to help improve site architecture, layout, and content.
- Build and maintain the CMNH website. This includes developing new ideas and coordinating with others in the department and across the museums to obtain copy, update images and graphics and add or delete links.
- Provides overall direction for the CMNH website. Works with internal IT staff or external vendors on upgrades or changes to the site that requires applications development or technical design.
- Manages projects related to work and completes assignments on or before deadline.
- Works with internal design team to develop CMNH website and e-newsletters.
- Develops web forms and reports.
- Recommends new functionality, features of website based on solid understanding of the offerings of CMNH.
- Remains current with emerging website technologies and works with the director of marketing to implement new initiatives.
- Acts as the administrator of the site, approving content changes or escalating as appropriate.
- Meets regularly with colleagues in marketing and technology across CMP network to discuss best practices, problem-solve, and discover shared resources.
- Ensure electronic media products follow CMNH branding guidelines.
- Devise and implement standards for accessibility and other best practices.
- Performs related responsibilities as required or other assignments related to marketing.
The following PA Act 153 clearances, or proof of application of clearances, are required beginning employment and as a condition of continued employment:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
- FBI Fingerprint Criminal Background Check
Obtaining the required clearances is completed as part of the new hire process.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org