Mission and Organization
The mission of Mainstay Life Services is to provide high-quality support services, ensuring that people with developmental disabilities lead fulfilling lives and realize their vision of a desirable future. We work to ensure that people with developmental disabilities will live within a community that sustains them and benefits from their participation. Our vision is that Mainstay Life Services will be regarded as the region’s provider of choice for individuals and families seeking services and as the region’s employer of choice for qualified and committed professionals.
With almost 400 employees, a budget of $24 million, and a growth rate of 15% over the last two years, Mainstay Life Services (Mainstay) supports nearly 400 people through its core programs and services, both community-based and residential.
- Community Services are an all-inclusive model of care for adults living in their own home, in need of varying levels of support. Mainstay also offers Behavior Support Services and Supported Employment along with a summer respite and recreation program that provides the unique opportunity for participants to stay on a Pittsburgh university campus and engage in recreation and socialization activities.
- Residential Services has more than 50 Mainstay homes throughout Allegheny County. A variety of living arrangements and service levels are offered, ranging from comprehensive, 24-hour care in a family home setting, Life Sharing and supported living for more independent recipients who select services to meet their personal needs such as transportation and nutritional guidance. The program also includes specialized community homes for people with Prader-Willi Syndrome.
A well recruited/retained and talented staff ensures the operational stability of Mainstay. The CEO and Board of Directors look forward to a future of growth and innovation in fundraising and development with the creation of a new Chief Advancement and Engagement Officer.
Mainstay Life Services seeks a Chief Advancement and Engagement Officer (CAEO), a new member of the Executive Leadership Team, who will spearhead the fundraising efforts of Mainstay, working in partnership with the CEO and a committed Board of Directors to uplift the mission and advance the donor experience. The CAEO reports directly to the CEO and is responsible for leading the effort for raising philanthropic dollars through major giving, annual giving, legacy gifts, grants, and special events. A talented public relations professional, the CAEO will be expected to implement effective communication strategies to increase awareness among public about the organization and to educate the public and potential clients about Mainstay’s services.
The CAEO will use their expertise to usher in a new era of development success while maintaining high visibility in the community. The successful candidate must be a team player who is able to thrive in a continually evolving environment.
The CAEO is primarily responsible for the following:
- Manage community relations plan for purposes of fundraising and awareness building.
- Manage annual fund including direct mail campaigns to segmented donor lists (fall appeal, holiday mailing); analyze donor response.
- Supervise maintenance of donor database; review quality of data entered on a regular basis.
- Drive efforts to expand prospect mailing list.
- Analyze donor characteristics and giving preferences on a regular basis.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with donors. Support board and staff work on relationship building.
- Further develop and strengthen the major gift program. Direct the CEO’s participation in this effort.
- Build a planned giving program.
- Lead grant-writing efforts including: developing case for support, research, and preparation for submitting grant requests, maintaining relationships with foundation officers, grant writing as needed, and the staff processes supporting those efforts (needs assessment, planning processes, etc.).
- Manage all aspects of special events, including annual golf outing and other events if seen necessary for fundraising purposes, in conjunction with Board and special committees.
- Participate and assist in leading Board committee for fundraising and communications; encourage and support Board fundraising participation.
- Create a mindset among senior staff of using development potential for funding important capital and unique programmatic efforts over and above the current levels of support.
- Work cooperatively with leadership team to create and monitor consistent messaging for the organization. Utilize social media as a means of reaching the community and potential donors.
- Maintain and improve promotional assets of Mainstay, including all marketing materials, website, and social media.
- Manage media relations plan: develop/maintain media list, initiate/maintain contacts with media representatives, develop media kit and revise as needed; write, pitch, and distribute news releases; conduct special events’ publicity; track results of media relations efforts.
- Serve as a key public voice of Mainstay.
- Place Mainstay’s image and stories in large distribution media as often as possible.
- Raise Mainstay’s profile within our service area, region, and the nation.
- Seek opportunities for continual professional development for self and staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The CAEO will support Mainstay Life Services’ mission with a deep understanding of the role Mainstay plays in the lives of clients, families, and the community. The successful candidate is comfortable with and understands the importance of face-to-face relationship building and asking for money. The CAEO joins a senior team dedicated to ensuring the organization meets strategic goals, contributes positively to the workplace culture and demonstrates professional acumen that is humble and authentic.
In addition, the successful candidate will possess a blend of the following:
- Educational background that supports the required skills and competencies.
- Relevant experience in an organization with multiple service lines and successful fundraising, marketing communications, public relations.
- Increased professional responsibility gained through tenured experience with nonprofit organizations.
- Quantitative evidence of increased dollars raised while in a position.
- Successful record of accomplishment with creating and maintaining relationships with funders and community institutions.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to motivate, negotiate, and persuade stakeholders into a course of action in a community context.
- Experience raising and enhancing the public profile of their organization.
- Personal communication skills necessary for effective face-to-face cultivation of donors and written communication skills necessary to create compelling fundraising materials.
- Experience with fundraising databases.
- Committed to the best practices of nonprofit fundraising, including membership in professional organizations that promote ongoing education.
- Must have proven team leadership, the ability to supervise others and produce results, and work effectively in a team setting.
- Strong cultural competency with deep experience working with diverse populations.
This position offers a competitive salary in the range of $115,000 – $130,000 including a complement of competitive benefits, commensurate with previous experience and demonstrated skills.
Mainstay seeks to recruit candidates for employment that represent our diverse community in race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and ability. Inclusive and equitable in our recruitment and retention practices, we are dedicated to uplifting diverse opinions and backgrounds in order to grow and evolve as a welcoming workplace for all.
How to Apply
Mainstay Life Services has retained Nonprofit Talent to assist with this important organizational change process. Specific questions related to the position may be emailed to Michelle Pagano Heck, President, at Michelle@NonprofitTalent.com. Applications are not accepted at this email address. Please direct all inquiries related to this position to Nonprofit Talent, and do not contact Mainstay Life Services.
Resume, position specific cover letter, and salary may be uploaded here:
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY 5PM on August 12, 2021 2021
To apply for this job please visit nonprofittalent.applytojob.com.