Asociación Puertorriqueños en Marcha (APM) is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of our community through direct service and outreach in the Philadelphia region. APM envisions a healthy community, where all families are self-reliant; where children are protected and nurtured to become future leaders; and where residents are engaged in their community.
Since 1970, APM has affected thousands of people’s lives each year by offering a full spectrum of bilingual and culturally sensitive social services related to education, health, human services, and community & economic development. APM has leveraged over
$140 million in residential and commercial development and is home to over 300 highly skilled professionals in a variety of disciplines with an operating budget of nearing 50 million. For more information, visit APMPhila.org.
APM is seeking a Director of Housing and Real Estate Development to scale up it single and multifamily development work.
Reporting to and working closely with the COO, the Director of Housing Development is by nature ambitious, moves fast and is entrepreneurial in the pursuit of new affordable rental housing and homeownership developments. The Director will lead and implement APM’s real estate development strategic goals, objectives, and priorities while developing a pipeline of affordable rental and homeownership developments. The individual will plan, organize, and manage all functions and activities of the Housing Development department, including activities and coordination with other APM departments, outside agencies, public officials, and the community. Responsible for originating, coordinating, and implementing all aspects of affordable housing project development – from deal origination and feasibility through construction, to stabilizing occupancy. Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation and joint ventures with other developers.
The Director of Housing Development will be someone who believes in and understands affordable housing, and brings this expertise to bear in a nonprofit environment to grow APM’s portfolio. They will have a dealmaker’s sensibility, understanding of affordable housing development and the financial mechanisms of this type, and have the fortitude to proactively identify new projects where APM can successfully provide support to a range of developments across the housing continuum
Chief Operations Officer (COO)
- Manage all phases of development for construction projects including reviewing feasibility analysis, obtaining local approvals, developing and maintaining proformas, and managing the design and construction phases.
- Facilitates development partnerships among community residents, community-based organizations, and local jurisdictions.
- Conduct all physical, financial and operational due diligence on properties during feasibility, acquisition and pre-development phases.
- Prepare financing applications to public and private sources such as: Federal HOME, CDBG, HOPWA, HUD (SHP and McKinney), State/HFA’s (RACP, DCED, Penn HOMES, LIHTC 4% and 9%, Bond Financing, PHARE, Reclaim, Special Initiatives, and 811), Commerce, NMTC, FHLB, and various private foundations.
- Coordinate pre-development and development activities including but not limited to:
- Lender relationships
- Legal documents
- Financial planning including development and operating budgets with multiple sources
- Construction documents
- Ongoing management of project financials
- Monitor and track construction progress and cost to ensure timely project completion.
- Identify and manage qualified architects, engineers, environmental firms, contractors and other professionals as needed.
- Coordinate marketing and lease up process and transition to stabilizes operations, working with internal departments (asset management, property management, fiscal, and resident programs) before, during, and after construction to ensure smooth tenant relations and transition to operations.
- Research and suggest new methods of financing and structuring of housing and other community development activities including open space and community facilities.
- Appropriately interface with government and financial entities pertaining to development including but not limited to banks, funders, lenders, City Council, Office of Housing and Community Development, Redevelopment Authority, Housing Finance Agencies, PA Office of Budget, and Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Oversee Compliance with City, State and Federal oversight agencies and with private investors/lenders.
- Coordinate responses to Request for Proposals and Request for Qualifications.
- Acquire properties from public agencies as well as from the private market.
- Represent APM at stakeholder meetings, including industry events, local boards, advocacy organizations, and other important partnerships.
- Represent the department and APM to elected officials and outside agencies.
- Negotiate and resolve significant and controversial issues with various partners and stakeholders.
Leadership and Administration
- Train, motivate, and direct department personnel, including performance monitoring.
- Develop and monitor the department annual budget.
- Implement annual strategic goals of the Housing Development Department.
- Prepare board reports for both the APM Board of Directors and the affiliate nonprofit corporations’ boards of directors
- Establish and implement standard operating procedures for the Housing Development Department, including but not limited to design standards, data retention, and interdepartmental coordination.
- Provide regular reporting on department activities to APM senior leadership
Education and Experience Requirements
- Master’s Degree in business, finance, real estate or planning is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years in affordable housing development, as well as training in underwriting, financial feasibility and analysis, government programs for real estate financing, knowledge and preferably experience with the Philadelphia development community, government agencies, and financial institutions.
- Knowledge of construction and property management processes.
- Must have proven ability to manage multiple real estate development projects simultaneously, to lead teams of internal staff and external consultants, and to effectively solve problems of variety of issues that may occur during the real estate development process.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills, including preparation of reports, briefing papers, and correspondence.
- Excellent organizational coordination, problem-solving, and time management skills, including the planning and managing of multiple projects.
- Ability to be proactive and capable of resolving complex problems expeditiously.
- Comfort in working in a team capacity
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply
APM has retained G. Ubarry Inc, a community development management firm to assist in this search. Inquiries, or if applying, submit to Grizel Ubarry at Searchguinc@gmail.com cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
APM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job email your details to Searchguinc@gmail.com