Reports to: Director of Guest Operations
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Department: Guest Operations
Date: March 17, 2021
The National Aviary is seeking a dynamic and experienced events management professional to take its existing facility rentals program to new heights. With the recent completion of “The Garden Room,” a dazzling new four seasons event space, the Events Manager will work closely with National Aviary leadership to build an invigorated, revenue-driving year-round facility rentals program. The Events Manager works closely with members of the Guest Operations department to ensure smooth and consistent customer service and with other teams throughout the organization to develop and execute effective and timely strategies to boost special events at the National Aviary.
The main responsibility of the Events Manager is to manage the facility rentals department, including supervision of the Events Coordinator. This position is responsible for meeting facility rental sales goals. The Events Manager coordinates in-house catering, manages the relationship with the caterer, develops facility rental process and systems, and interfaces with clients as needed. This position has oversight of the National Aviary’s footprint on the Pittsburgh event rentals market. The Events Manager also manages logistics for National Aviary fundraisers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the Facility Rentals Department using sound business strategy, continually evaluating and improving strategies, goals, and results.
- Develops strategies around all facility rentals opportunities, including:
- Managing and developing pricing structure and sales materials.
- Determining media outlets to focus marketing budget.
- Facilitating regular targeted messages or other strategies that effectively garner business on an ongoing basis.
- Developing and continually refining key sales messages and positioning.
- Monitoring“review”websites(the Knot, WeddingWire, etc.)and using information to make improvements as well as share positive feedback.
- Ensuring24/7 coverage for inquiries and ensuring responses are made within 24hours.
- Plans all logistical needs for high profile National Aviary events such as Night in the Tropics and spring and fall mini-fundraisers, including vendors, rentals, layout, décor, staffing, entertainment, and other needs within the designated budget.
- Manages all logistics for late night events (i.e. Holiday Lights and Late Nights) and high visibility events such as ribbon cutting ceremonies, VIP event rentals, donor events, and other similar events.
- Manages departmental requests for internal events and high profile meetings, including overseeing scheduling, set-up, fulfilling in-house catering needs, and ensuring consistent quality.
- Breaks down overall sales goal into realistic weekly, monthly, and quarterly goals based on historical facility rental trends and sales strategy.
- Streamlines processes with clients, including callbacks, in-person meetings, coordination with internal caterer, contract finalization, and feedback.
- Assists in managing relationship with contracted internal caterer, streamlines catering processes, and meets with them regularly to ensure excellent response time, satisfaction with clients, and coordination and execution of sales strategies.
- When other events staff is not available, meets with potential clients, conducts site visits, and supervises events.
- Attends tradeshows and networking events as appropriate to boost business.
- Completes general daily administrative duties as necessary.
- Ensures all clients have a positive experience through cultivation, follow-up, and overall professionalism.
- Develops and upholds organizational policies and practices to minimize organizational risk before, during and after events.
- Works closely with Buildings and Grounds Department to meet the needs of our clients and of the organization.
- Obtains necessary contracts and insurance documents with third parties.
- Available to events staff to help troubleshoot emergency event needs.
- Serves as a Responsible Party; adheres to all National Aviary policies and protocols.
- Interacts with visitors utilizing National Aviary Visitor Engagement protocol.
- Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Events Manager supervises the Events Department staff.
While leading an event, the Events Manager supervises all event staff from setup to teardown including Buildings & Grounds, Animal Programs, security, etc.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, telephone skills, organization, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated skills in sales as well as managing the sales process
- Ability to assess and prioritize multiple tasks and demands while meeting deadlines
- Maintains Events Department staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Accomplishes departmental goals by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job performance; and coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the National Aviary’s policies and applicable laws.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in various situations
- Ability to maintain a calm and courteous demeanor under pressure
- Ability to manage, train, coach, and motivate employees
- Ability to interact and communicate with a variety of audiences in a professional, clear, and engaging manner to ensure organizational needs and event needs are met
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Strong leadership, team management and project management skills with experience in managing simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Five years related experience
- Supervisory experience preferred
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Satisfactory Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse History Certification
- Satisfactory FBI Criminal Record Check
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to pass Department of Motor Vehicles check
While performing the duties of this job, the employee constantly moves around the facility, including under and around equipment and furniture. The employee occasionally moves objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Work environments will include chilled or humid environments, public areas where the noise level may be loud, outdoors where work may need to be done in inclement weather conditions, including extremes of temperature and precipitation, and climate-controlled office spaces.
POSITION TYPE/ EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time position. Candidate must be available to work a typical event management schedule on a weekly basis, including evenings and weekends.
To apply for this job email your details to Sam.Moore@aviary.org