Building Business. Connecting Communities. Empowering Everyone.
The Westmoreland County Chamber of Commerce (the Chamber) represents roughly 1,000 businesses across Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. As a 501(c)(6) organization, its members include both large and small firms from retailers and manufacturers to government agencies and professional service providers. Tracing its roots back to the early 1940s, the Westmoreland County Chamber of Commerce has been instrumental in building strong partnerships among regional business leaders, community leaders, elected officials, and key stakeholders on a variety of important issues facing the greater Westmoreland community. The Chamber enjoys a heralded reputation as one of the largest, most active, and influential chambers of commerce in Southwestern Pennsylvania. The organization maintains a robust business-friendly advocacy platform and provides members with a variety of networking events, group purchasing opportunities, and professional development seminars throughout the year.
The Chamber strives to promote the continuous improvement of the common good and the quality of life in the community through the pursuit of new business; the cultural, social, and economic education of our citizens; and by providing accurate and timely assistance to the business community. In addition to the benefits offered to members, the Chamber also promotes a number of key programs and interests:
- Chapters: The Chamber maintains a substantial presence in a number of communities by utilizing the chapter organizational structure. These chapters exist to service the unique needs of businesses and business owners in a given geographic area.
- Committees: The Chamber offers several active committees and task forces to address specific topics important to local businesses and the community at large. Chamber members are invited to join a committee at any time.
- Leadership Westmoreland: A 9-month, tuition-based program that is custom-designed to foster the development and growth of community leaders and enhance creative leadership skills.
- Leadership Westmoreland Youth Academy: A five-day leadership development program designed to introduce participants to leadership concepts and provide interaction with local business, government officials, and community leaders. Participants will learn and grow by developing leadership skills and gaining knowledge through various methods.
- Women of Westmoreland (WOW): Works to empower Chamber members and to advance women’s leadership in our local economy through networking, professional development, and community engagement.
For more information, please visit: https://www.westmorelandchamber.com/
Serving in a brand-new role for the organization, the new Executive Director will serve as a public face of the Chamber in order to build and maintain collaborative partnerships and alliances in the community and across a broad range of constituencies. This seasoned individual will serve in tandem with the current President and CEO and under the guidance of the Board, broadening the reach of the Chamber and reinforcing the county’s position as one of the best places to live and do business in Pennsylvania. With a demonstrated commitment to the growth of Westmoreland County, the successful candidate will work to expand membership in the Chamber while exploring new opportunities for innovative growth.
The Executive Director is primarily responsible for the following:
Leadership and Management
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors, the President and CEO, Strategic Planning Committee, and Staff, develops and implements a strategic, long-range plan to advance the Chamber’s mission.
- Oversees the Chamber’s operations including fiscal management, regulatory compliance, and partnership oversight. This includes the annual budget as well as the preparation of accurate and timely financial statements, all produced alongside the President and CEO as well as the Director of Operations.
- Supports the Board to ensure the financial goals of the organization are being met and make recommendations as needed.
- Continuously evaluates the Chamber’s organization structure, policies, and procedures to ensure their effectiveness in identifying and addressing Chamber and community needs and issues.
- Works with the President and CEO to manage the Staff with transparency and respect, creating a workplace that is professional and positive. Engages employees in strategic discussions and empowers them to work autonomously.
Partnerships and Community Relations
- Works to identify, establish, and maintain strategic linkages with businesses and nonprofit organizations.
- Ensures that positive, professional, and productive long-term relationships are fostered between the business community and elected officials across the region including building broad-based coalitions to advance the goals of the organization.
- Collaborates with the Board and the President and CEO to identify and manage the Chamber’s relationships with and advocacy efforts before local, state, and federal government bodies to achieve desired outcomes.
- Represents and serves as the chief spokesperson and advocate for the Chamber in the community. Communicates a clear, inspirational vision for the Chamber that encourages membership and interest.
Program and Policy Support
- Supports the President and CEO and Director of Membership Services in recruiting and retaining new and existing members of the Chamber. Responsible for maintaining the membership at a level needed to ensure the income needed to support the Strategic Plan.
- Provides Staff and Committees with the tools, guidance and resources needed to develop new, creative, value-added programs, benefits, and services for the membership.
- Reviews and evaluates program and benefit proposals to help ensure their effectiveness.
- Assists the Board in the development of policy, as needed, and is responsible for the execution of policies adopted by the Board. Responsible for the proper order of business as established in the Chamber’s bylaws.
- Develops, maintains, and supports a high-performing and passionate Board of Directors.
- Provides on-going education to the Board of Directors on emerging issues and unmet needs.
- Engenders the respect and confidence of the members of the Board, understanding their strengths and capabilities and eliciting their best ideas, efforts, and resources.
- Generates and tracks metrics that monitor the performance of the organization with respect to the mission and key objectives of the organization.
- In conjunction with the Board Chair and the President and CEO, plans and organizes Executive Committee and Board meetings.
- Develops special programs as directed by the Board complete with additional funding sources, proposals, and reports.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The Chamber seeks an inspirational Executive Director with a passion for the mission and vision for the future. This servant leader will bring a fresh approach to the organization with an eye on the future of the Westmoreland County area. All candidates should have proven leadership, relationship management, and customer service experience, as well as possess a combination of the following skills and attributes:
- Educational background that is relevant to the work expected.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in leadership and management. The area of business development or related field preferred.
- Past success working collaboratively with partners, including but not limited to corporate and business leaders, like-minded organizational partners, and a Board of Directors.
- A track record for leading through complex challenges with multiple diverse stakeholders. Effective at leading change while engaging diverse viewpoints.
- Strong knowledge of data gathering and metrics including needs assessments, quality evaluations, and labor market analysis.
- Demonstrated success in creating and promoting a diverse, inclusive, and respectful workplace environment. Working style that is transparent, encouraging, and collaborative.
- Experience and confidence with public speaking before a wide range of professionals and community audiences.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including strong verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Advanced strategy and planning skills; demonstrated success with program development.
- Familiarity with Westmoreland County’s business leaders, government officials and political representatives strongly desired.
In the near term, the Executive Director will be expected to continue to deliver outstanding outcomes while successfully addressing the following in the first six months:
- Working cooperatively with the President and CEO and Board to learn the organizational functions and culture.
- Identifying new opportunities for membership engagement and commitment.
- Meeting with local leaders and understanding the membership base and professional landscape Westmoreland County.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package in the range of $100,000- $115,000 commensurate with previous experience and demonstrated skills.
How to Apply
The Westmoreland County Chamber of Commerce has retained Nonprofit Talent to assist with this important organizational change process. Specific questions related to the position may be emailed to Michelle Pagano Heck, President, at Michelle@NonprofitTalent.com. Applications are not accepted at this email address. Please direct all inquiries related to this position to Nonprofit Talent, and do not contact the Westmoreland County Chamber of Commerce.
Resume, position specific cover letter, and salary expectations may be uploaded here:
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY May 24, 2021 at 5PM
The Westmoreland County Chamber of Commerce is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit nonprofittalent.applytojob.com.