Slippery Rock University Foundation
Website Slippery Rock University Foundation
Slippery Rock University Foundation exists to generate, develop, and steward charitable gifts and other resources to support the priorities of Slippery Rock University and its students.
Slippery Rock University Foundation (SRUF) is a nonprofit foundation, independent from Slippery Rock University. Established in 1970 by a group of individuals that wanted to enhance the educational opportunities for students at Slippery Rock University, SRUF secures annual and capital support for scholarships, student and faculty research, cultural programming, equipment, facilities, and other University needs.
In 2016, SRUF established SRUF Student Housing LLC, which provides quality on-campus housing for Slippery Rock University students. The complex has the capacity to house 2,074 students within 6 individual residence halls, totaling 742,836 square feet and offers 7 suite configurations. Each building is designed pursuant to United States Green Building Council Standards. Significant safety features include multiple card-swipe access points, security cameras, and welcome desks at each building entrance staffed 24/7.
SRUF is proud to have provided the following financial support, 2011-2021:
- Funded $21.7M in scholarships.
- Provided financial support to 14,677 students through scholarships.
- Provided $8.1M to SRU in surplus, management fees, and rents.
- Reimbursed $8.1M to SRU in professional staff salaries and benefits.
- Provided $5.4M in student wages related to student housing.
- Increased total assets under management from $26.5M to $47.4M.
In addition to seeking and managing private contributions and grants, Slippery Rock University Foundation, Inc. is also the developer of Slippery Rock Technology Park, a 39-acre development adjacent to the Slippery Rock University campus.
Additional information about SRUF is here – https://www.srufoundation.org/
Slippery Rock University Foundation seeks a highly visible Executive Director who will lead the organization into a period of innovation, growth, and prosperity.
With the impending retirement of their long and strong Executive Director, SRUF is seeking a skilled philanthropic executive to carry out the foundation’s mission and steward the charitable assets entrusted to the foundation. The Executive Director will carry out strategies for revenue generation, asset management, partnerships, and advocacy. A skilled communicator, the successful candidate can navigate relationships with University and external partners and community funders as well as forge strategic direction and initiatives. The Executive Director is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donor prospects (individuals, foundations, and corporations) gift funds and donor records at all levels of giving.
Reporting to the Board of Directors and supervising a highly collaborative staff of three, the Executive Director also serves as the leader of two additional organizations:
- SRUF Student Housing LLC, a limited liability corporation that owns and operates a 2,200 bed facility of privatized student housing; and
- SRUF Campus Housing Inc., an IRS designated 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization that is the sole member of SRUF Student Housing LLC.
The Executive Director is primarily responsible for the following:
Leadership and Organization Management
- Assures SRUF effectively achieves its mission by providing leadership to the team. This includes day-to-day operations, staff supervision, and participation in strategic planning.
- Manages the Staff with transparency and respect, creating a workplace that is professional and positive.
- Assesses the effectiveness of funding strategies through measurable, objective, and quantitative evidence and shares data with appropriate stakeholders.
- Identifies and evaluates partners to maximize revenue generation at Technology Park site.
- Partners with University and financial advisors to maximize profitability of on-campus housing facilities.
Fundraising and Communications
- Expands revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations.
- Uses external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
- Deepens and refines all aspects of communications, from web presence to marketing/publicity to external relations, with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Establishes sound working relationships and strategic alliances with the University and external constituents.
- Represents SRUF to the University, external agencies, funders, and the public.
- Develops and maintains fiscal integrity to include submission to the Board a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of SRUF.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating with the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the Foundation in a positive financial position.
- Ensures that adequate funds are available to permit SRUF to carry out its work.
- Maintains open channels of communication with Board members in order to solicit feedback to best perform duties as a servant-leader.
- Provides ongoing education to the Board of Directors on emerging issues and unmet needs.
- Generates and tracks metrics that monitor the performance of the organization with respect to the mission and key objectives of the organization.
- Provides leadership in developing organizational, program, and financial plans with the Board of Directors and carries out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
SRUF seeks an experienced leader with demonstrated experience with fundraising and development models, while also harboring a keen business acumen and understanding of diverse funding streams. Dedicated to the mission of SRUF, the successful candidate will lead and strengthen the foundation through innovative funding strategies and collaboration.
Demonstrable experience, competencies, and qualifications include:
- Educational background that is relevant to the work expected.
- Strong executive acumen, demonstrated through progressive professional growth and tenures that reflect commitment.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set, and achieve strategic objectives, and develop and manage a budget.
- Previous management of fundraising, stewardship, and donor programs for a nonprofit organization.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Successful track record with creating and maintaining relationships with individuals and community institutions
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing relationships.
- Personal communication skills necessary for effective face-to-face cultivation of donors and written communication skills necessary to create compelling fundraising and membership materials.
- Working style that is transparent, encouraging, and collaborative and that empowers and inspires others.
- Responsive to the needs of others including colleagues, families, community partners, donors, and all related constituents.
In the near term, the new Executive Director will continue to deliver outstanding outcomes while successfully addressing the following in the first 6-12 months:
- Work with Foundation Executive Committee to develop and execute SRUF’s long-range strategic plan in support of the organization’s mission and financial goals.
- Develop relationships with appropriate University and community partners to support the Foundation’s mission and strategic direction.
This position offers a competitive salary in the $145,000 – $170,000 range and a progressive benefits package.
This position works in a hybrid model with primarily on-site management and remote days.
How to Apply
Slippery Rock University Foundation has retained Nonprofit Talent to assist with this important organizational change process. Specific questions related to the position may be emailed to Michelle Pagano Heck, President, at Michelle@NonprofitTalent.com. Please direct all inquiries related to this position to Nonprofit Talent, and do not contact Slippery Rock University Foundation.
Resume, position-specific cover letter, and salary expectations can be uploaded here:
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY 5PM on MAY 20, 2022
To apply for this job please visit nonprofittalent.applytojob.com.