Fair Shake Environmental Legal Services
Website Fair Shake Environmental Legal Services
Fair Shake Environmental Legal Services is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit law firm designed to incubate legal services start-ups in the area of environmental law for underserved, modest means clients. The purposes of the organization include the education of attorneys in serving modest means clients, increasing equal access to justice, and community empowerment in the Appalachian Basin (New York to North Carolina). Fair Shake advances local, community decision-making about community health, environmental protection and cleanup, and development by providing access to justice for individuals and groups that are currently underserved.
Fair Shake is looking for a bright, motivated, and entrepreneurial attorney who enjoys a busy docket in a collegial and supportive environment. We are hiring a supervising attorney to work with our Staff Attorneys, Executive Director and Community Democracy Program Manager who is interested in implementing our mission to increase access to justice in environmental matters for modest means clients. We work throughout Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia and are transitioning to a remote work environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF A SUPERVISING ATTORNEY
The Supervising Attorney will lead our client work by building client relationships, supervising Staff Attorneys and Resident Attorneys, deliberately building our docket, and developing educational materials and presentations for the local community. The Supervising Attorney will work closely with the Executive Director and Community Democracy Program Manager to integrate the organization’s educational, environmental justice, and legal services objectives into everyday operations.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALITIES
- Effective and efficient manager of diverse staff and legal matters, including the full spectrum of environmental legal issues in the contexts of client counseling, litigation, and legislative drafting;
- Experience mentoring attorneys in lawyering skills, case management, drafting, research, and effective communication;
- Proven effectiveness in fostering a culture of respect among staff and with clients through internal and external communication policies, collaborative case development processes, the use of client-centered counseling processes, active listening, and developing the decision-making ability of others;
- Maintain effective professional relationships with staff, experts, clients, and colleagues;
- Strong management, mentoring, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Demonstrated initiative and creative problem-solving experience in client interactions and case management;
- Knowledge of prominent environmental issues affecting individuals and communities in Pennsylvania;
- Proven ability to manage budgets;
A commitment to:
- Promoting fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people, regardless of race, color, national origin, or income in the development, implementation, and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations, and policies;
- Providing legal representation to allow equal access to the environmental decision-making process and to foster equal protection under the law for the health, preservation, and restoration of natural, scenic, historic, and esthetic values of the environment;
- Educating young attorneys in legal services entrepreneurship and incubating start-up legal services organizations to serve the environmental legal needs of underserved low- and middle-income clients; and
- Empowering communities and stimulating economies in the Appalachian Basin region by providing environmental legal services and counseling to allow the underserved to make decisions about practical and innovative solutions to complex environmental challenges across the region.
Candidates should possess:
- A minimum of 6 years of experience in civil or administrative litigation, preferably with a focus in environmental or energy law
- Current bar membership in at least one of the jurisdictions that we practice within (Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia).
The Supervising Attorney must be willing to travel within our practice region as needed.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Fair Shake offers a competitive non-profit salary commensurate with skills and experience as well as a comprehensive benefits package that includes 20 days paid vacation; medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; and a retirement savings plan.
To apply, please submit via e-mail a letter of interest, your CV or résumé to Emily A. Collins, Esq., by December 15, 2020 as follows:
Emily A. Collins
Executive Director and Managing Attorney
647 E. Market Street
Akron, OH 44304
Fair Shake Environmental Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to inclusivity and diversity in our workforce.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org