Forward Allies for Mental and Reproductive Health
Website Forward Allies for Mental and Reproductive Health
Collective support for birthing people, families, and community.
Who We Are:
Forward Allies for Equity in Mental and Reproductive Health is part of a collaborative effort to support birthing people, families, and communities through education, facilitation, and advocacy to actively reduce barriers to quality reproductive mental health care. Formed in response to the limited visibility of reproductive mental health issues and the dearth of services in Allegheny County, Forward Allies (FA) was incorporated as a 501(c)3 in 2020.
Reproductive mental health care in Allegheny County is woefully inadequate, with access to care limited by income and insurance restrictions. Suicide is one of the leading causes of death for parents up to 365 days after childbirth. Healthcare should not be a privilege. Forward Allies raises awareness of reproductive mental health, counters stigma, and most importantly, increases access to quality care. We also look to systemic issues for prevention and care for mental health needs. We see mental health, trauma, and grief care as a societal issue with multiple stressors that may be prevented with adequate systems.
Forward Allies is at a unique stage of development as an organization. During our first year as a non-profit organization, during a pandemic, we have raised over $20,000 in grant funding and an additional $15,000 in individual giving. We are looking to build our board and programs to launch the mission forward with new energy.
Our Board Values:
As a board we are conscious to lean into our collective values of learning, authenticity, humility and sharing.
We believe everyone is doing the best that they can; that we are all learners and all teachers. When problems arise, we embrace the awkward conversations and we move forward as a learning organization. We value collaboration over competition, and believe it takes all of us to make an impact.
About This Position:
FA is seeking enthusiastic Board Members to join our team at this critical juncture in our organizational growth.
We are looking for dynamic professionals, with a priority on candidates active in their personal antiracism journey. We are seeking board members that understand the importance of work-life balance while remaining committed to supporting the volunteer tasks to further the mission of the organization. Our board is passionate and determined to make a difference in our community and welcome individuals with a similar commitment and excitement in achieving our goals and dreams.
Board Member Duties:
- Act as a representative for Forward Allies within your network, taking action to build partnerships and contribute to the development of financial and social resources to advance its mission.
- Participate, review, and vote on the strategic planning yearly – as well as vote on program shifts needed to stay on mission and pivot throughout the year.
- Participate in bimonthly or quarterly board meetings and attend committee meetings as pledged.
- Maintain knowledge of the organization’s mission, programming, and board policies.
- Participate in a fundraising committee and/or make a philanthropic contribution to FA in any amount.
- (We are also looking for a fundraising chair for our Board of Directors – if interested in this position, please let us know at time of inquiry.)
Length of Term: Two years, with maximum of (2) two-year terms.
Time Commitment (Approximate):
- Attend all board meetings and read the executive reports prior to the meeting (2 hours/ meeting)
- Attend committee meetings and assigned duties (1-2 hours/ month)
- Attend and promote special events (3-4 hours/ event)
- Previous experience in one of the following areas preferred, but not required: Accounting, HR & HR Management, Legal, Marketing & Communications, Operations & Logistics, Real Estate & Architecture, Community-Based Non-Profit, EDI, Financial Investments. Reproductive Justice, Medical
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills
- Previous board participation welcome, but not necessary
- Strong networking skills and an established personal and/or professional network
- Volunteer or professional experience in fundraising, donor cultivation, community outreach, or reproductive justice preferred
Apply by emailing your letter of interest to Forward Allies, at email@example.com.
We are actively accepting applications and questions through June 15, 2021. We are hopeful to vote on new members during our July meeting.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org