Greater Portland Council of Governments
Website Greater Portland Council of Governments
Come join our team!
The Greater Portland Council of Governments (GPCOG) is seeking a Development Director to provide professional fundraising capacity in support of GPCOG’s work on behalf of the region, local governments, and regional partners throughout Southern Maine.
The Development Director takes responsibility for successfully raising new revenues to support GPCOG’s expanding programs. This position requires working as a team leader with GPCOG senior leadership, communications, and project staff. Duties include:
- Working with leadership and staff to develop and monitor annual fundraising goals.
- Leading development of successful grant applications for government, corporate, and foundation funding opportunities – in collaboration with appropriate staff and teams. This will include identifying grant opportunities and securing proposal invitations from funders.
- Expanding GPCOG’s revenue streams, especially in the areas of climate and community resilience, social and racial equity, and economic recovery.
- Developing and overseeing internal calendars and communication channels to ensure all deadlines are met and timely and accurate reporting is delivered to funding partners.
- Collaborating to develop and maintain compelling storytelling and promotional materials about GPCOG programs and services.
- Ensuring that staff and leadership have the information and support they need to cultivate relationships with prospective funders.
The Development Director will report to the Director of Regional Initiatives, who will provide general guidance and direct supervision. We seek an individual who has:
- Substantial experience successfully developing and securing philanthropic grants and government grants and contracts.
- A proven capacity to create and develop relationships that lead to revenue opportunities.
- Project development experience, especially in a public sector context involving the creation of public-private partnerships.
- Strong writing, document creation, and spreadsheet skills.
- Strong people skills, particularly in developing trusting relationships with partners.
- Ability to work to deadlines with strong collaborative skills ensuring successful outcomes.
- Willingness to share their skills, knowledge, and work with others.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
The Development Director is a new position for GPCOG. The successful candidate will demonstrate sustainable growth over a two-year period and have at least five years professional experience in a leadership role, credentials appropriate to the position, and the ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the organization.
GPCOG serves as a federally designated metropolitan planning organization (as PACTS), the regional Economic Development District, and state designated regional planning agency supporting about thirty member towns and other municipalities throughout the greater Portland region. As Maine’s economic center, Greater Portland is an exciting region in which to work and live. This program represents the opportunity to establish new capacity and resources to bolster resilience at a community and regional level. GPCOG is committed to advancing racial equity, social and environmental justice in its work to build sustainable prosperity for all in the Greater Portland and Lakes Region.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, competitive salary, and a fun, flexible, and creative working environment. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to representing the region’s diversity in our staff and creating a positive, inclusive workplace where all can thrive. People of color, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as one electronic document. The cover letter should answer the question, “Why do you want to work with us?” No phone calls please. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with review beginning February 22, 2021 and continuing until the position is filled to:
Mr. Vincent Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org
Email subject line: Application for Development Director
To apply for this job please visit www.gpcog.org.