Background and Organizational Information
The Group Against Smog and Pollution (GASP) is a Pittsburgh-based non-profit environmental organization that works to improve air quality to protect human, environmental, and economic health in the region. Founded in 1969, GASP is a diligent watchdog, educator, litigator, and policy-maker.
The Communications Manager is a newly created full-time position that reports to the Executive Director and works closely with other staff.
GASP is looking to hire an experienced communicator who can hit the ground running. Our Communications Manager will manage the daily, on-going communications around GASP’s projects and campaigns, communicating the importance of clean air and the relevance of GASP for today and for the future. And as GASP is about to celebrate our 50th anniversary, the Communications Manager will play a critical role in developing messaging and telling the stories of GASP’s past successes to be celebrated.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Managing all social media communications—Twitter, Facebook, Instagram;
- Creating/editing/distribution of press releases and organizing press conferences when appropriate; Initiating and maintaining relationships with news media. Assessing incoming media inquiries and directing them appropriately. Working with relevant staff to prepare for interviews. Tracking GASP mentions in the media;
- Writing and/or editing weekly emails to members/supporters, blog posts, newsletter articles, letters, and other GASP communications;
- In conjunction with other staff creating content for the GASP podcast, “On the Air”;
- Maintaining the GASP website—adding new content, keeping pages fresh with updated material, working with web site designer to add new features or fix broken ones, occasional upgrades of web site including plugins. Backend maintenance—adding new email accounts for new employees, etc. Working with web site host on any problems with site;
- Representing GASP at some public meetings (with regulators, public/concerned communities, etc.);
- Participating in collaborations with other groups on air/environmental initiatives;
- Occasional tabling at public/community events;
- Assisting GASP’s Education and Events Coordinator in event planning and creation of event materials;
- Maintaining broad overview of national, state, and local environmental issues with an eye toward GASP’s involvement where appropriate. Communicating with elected officials and regulators on opportunities to create positive change. Occasionally participating in direct lobbying on certain legislation, including visits to elected officials’ offices.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about protecting public health and the environment and improving Southwestern Pennsylvania’s air quality. It is not required that the successful individual be an expert on air quality issues. Most important are a willingness to learn and ask questions, and a positive and enthusiastic attitude.
- College degree, ideally with communications or journalism background. Equivalent education and experience accepted;
- Strong oral and writing skills—including “translation” of technical information into language the general public will easily understand;
- Comfort speaking in front of a group;
- The ability to produce clear, concise, compelling, and accurate materials;
- Experience with various social media platforms;
- Professional and positive attitude, strong work ethic, ability to work both independently and with a team;
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage several tasks and meet deadlines;
- Desire to work with diverse communities and individuals;
- Extremely reliable and honest;
- The ability to attend the occasional evening or weekend event or meetin
Benefits and Salary
Salary range for this position is $30,000-$35,000 based on education and experience. Our benefits package includes medical insurance and a pension plan (after 1 year of employment).
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter and resume in confidence to: email@example.com. Please mark subject line: Communications Manager. A writing sample may be requested.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org