Gwen's Girls, Inc.
Website Gwen's Girls, Inc.
Inspiring New Destiny
Our Mission is to empower girls and young women to have productive lives through holistic, gender-specific programs, education, and experiences.
The Mentor Coordinator oversees and develops the mentoring and volunteering component of the agency. Markets and recruits for mentor and volunteer positions. Interviews and orients adults to prepare to work with girls ages 10-18 living in Allegheny County who are at-risk for involvement or are involved in the juvenile justice system. Manages and evaluates all mentor contributions made to the growth of individual girls and support of the agency mission. In addition to managing the volunteer/mentor department, our volunteer/mentor coordinator oversees our workforce development program, oversees the Girls412 Advocacy program, and coordination of volunteers.
Education: Minimum requirement is an Associate’s degree. The ideal candidate should be working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s in a relevant discipline (public policy, education, sociology, psychology, African Studies, or related field enrolled in post-secondary education program).
- Must have a minimum of five years working with Black girls and their families, with past experience in providing gender-specific, trauma-informed approaches to prevention/intervention services.
- Past leadership experience that includes the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, clients, community leaders, and administrators from the various systems that serve our clients.
- Knowledge of inequity issues that impact girls and young women of color.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the complex issues that impact girls living in underserved, low socioeconomic areas.
- Strong writing, communication, public speaking, interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Previous experience training adult learners preferred.
- Must have working knowledge of non-profit service.
- Valid PA driver’s license with excellent driving record, reliable vehicle, insurance and registration required.
Clearances Required: PA Act 33 (Child Abuse) / Act 34 (Criminal History) / Federal Criminal History Record (FBI Fingerprint) / National Sex Offender Registry.
- Recruits and markets mentor opportunities for the agency by using various strategies to recruit, train and secure mentors. Provides an intensive 4-6 week training that is outlined by the program curriculum. Matches mentors to mentees based on skills and needs.
- Recruits and markets volunteer opportunities for the agency by using various strategies to recruit and secure volunteers. Interviews, evaluates and places volunteers based on volunteer job descriptions and available volunteer opportunities.
- Develops policies and procedures for mentors/volunteers and educates/communicates them to staff and mentors/volunteers. Designs, implements, evaluate and update relevant trainings and programs for various volunteer positions. Reviews Policies and Procedures and updates as needed annually.
- Reviews records regularly (no less than quarterly) to assure requirements are met.
- Communicates with youth development staff to keep abreast of girls referred to mentors. Communicates weekly with youth development staff to assess need for mentors. Provides progress notes to treatment team (Youth Development Specialist, Group Facilitators, etc.).
- Maintains a mentor/volunteer management and supervision system that includes ongoing feedback, evaluation, and corrective action, as needed. Conducts annual performance evaluations with each volunteer.
- Applies risk-management techniques and problem-solving techniques with mentors/volunteers, as needed. Documents incidents/outcomes and reports to supervisor
- Oversees the Girls412 advocacy program ensuring youth are provided with the tools to be successful.
- Provides workforce development programming for girls within the Gwen’s Girls program. The workforce program provides a comprehensive workforce readiness training which assesses job readiness, resume skills, mock interviewing, soft and hard skills training, testing and other workforce skills.
- Assists clients with job placement, including job-search classes, labor market analysis and employment contacts.
- Develop community and workforce partnerships to provide resources to clients in the program. Make referrals to workforce training, education or jobs based on client’s skills and needs.
- Incorporates Sanctuary tools and practices into everyday interactions to create a trauma-informed environment. Upholds the principles of Sanctuary to provide a therapeutic framework and culture.
Gwen’s Girls, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, or national origin. This policy includes the handicapped and all Vietnam-era veterans. Gwen’s Girls utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.
This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be necessary for this role. Personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com