Hazelwood Initiative, Inc.
Website Hazelwood Initiative, Inc.
Hazelwood Initiative, Inc. (HI) is a growing 501(c)3 community-based organization committed to economic and social development of the Greater Hazelwood neighborhoods of Hazelwood and Glen Hazel. With a mission to build a stronger Hazelwood through inclusive community development, HI stands at the brink of transformative economic revitalization. We seek a Managing Editor for our monthly newspaper, The Homepage, to support our community outreach and engagement efforts in Greater Hazelwood and those of neighboring communities of Greenfield, Hays, New Homestead, and Lincoln Place.
The Managing Editor is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the newspaper as it relates to the editorial content of the print and online editions. These duties include generating and managing content, coordinating volunteer and freelance writer submissions, layout and editing duties, coordinating with publisher, and ensuring timely submission and dissemination of The Homepage.
- Plan stories and make final decisions on content
- Receive and edit submitted editorial copy for grammar and content
- Compassionately respond to reader and contributor criticism
- Design the newspaper and lay out editorial copy for each issue
- Develop newspaper layout using inDesign to arrange elements (photos, text, ads, etc.)
- Manipulate design properties, such as type size, font style, spacing, column width and placement, using inDesign
- Design and implement new newspaper features/sections, as necessary
Ensure timely publication of the paper through coordination with its publisher
- Create newspaper ad content based on detailed specifications from businesses, organizations, and residents
- Manage ad payment, submissions, and contracts
- Develop and research new story ideas
- Maintain updated submission guidelines for contributing writers and interns
- Coordinate and assign stories to contributing writers and interns
- Write articles, as necessary
- Find and maintain community and city sources
- Act as a representative to the community on behalf of the newspaper
- Manage recruitment of interns and contributors
- Ensure coverage of community events or meetings as necessary for reporting and/or general marketing purposes
- Engage with organizations throughout the readership area for reporting and/or general marketing purposes
- Post monthly Homepage PDF issues to the Hazelwood Initiative website
- Coordinate newspaper drop off to local businesses
Our ideal candidate has a demonstrated passion for community-based development and community organizations. Additionally, he/she/they will have a blend of the following:
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Hazelwood Initiative, Inc.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism (preferred), communications or related field
- Excellent computer skills; proficiency in In Design, Canva, Word, Outlook, required;
- Demonstrated organizational skills, including strong attention to detail
- Excels at operating in a fast paced, community environment with multifaceted demands
- Proven ability to successfully handle multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize projects, and meet critical deadlines
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Exhibit the highest professional standards of integrity, humility, honesty, and kindness
- Able to work in a non-standard office environment
The employee will primarily be working in an office environment, but community events are often outdoors with exposure to the elements. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Any requests for occasional remote work must be approved by the Executive Director.
Please note this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Hours per Week: 40 hours
Wage Range: $35,000- $40,000, based on experience
FLSA Status: Full-time/Exempt
How to Apply
Resume and cover letter should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or mailed to Hazelwood Initiative, Inc., 4901 Second Avenue, 2nd fl, Pittsburgh, PA 15207.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com