Hazelwood Initiative, Inc.
Website Hazelwood Initiative, Inc.
Build'g a stronger Hazelwood thru inclusive community dev'ment.
Hazelwood Initiative, Inc. (HI) is a growing community development corporation, founded in 1999 and dedicated to building a stronger Hazelwood through inclusive community development. HI is pursuing an aggressive agenda of real estate acquisitions for the redevelopment of the neighborhood under the banner of “development without displacement.” HI acquires vacant residential properties for rehabilitation for low-to-moderate-income homebuyers. It is also acquiring a portfolio of properties to preserve affordable rental housing. In the business district, HI is acquiring key buildings to ensure that Hazelwood’s Second Avenue corridor has a vibrant retail and restaurant component that serves the community while attracting a larger market to the neighborhood. All of this is done in and through a context of community engagement and planning to ensure that development is done by and for the people of Greater Hazelwood.
The Real Estate Project Manager position is designed to increase the capacity of the Real Estate Department to achieve critical mass in the development of residential and commercial properties. Working closely and collegially under the supervision of the Senior Director of Real Estate, this person will be detail-oriented in implementing the real estate projects developed by the Senior Director. The range of responsibilities will be tailored to the strength of the person, but could include construction/project management, working with buyers to become eligible to purchase homes, compliance with funder requirements, proposals and reports to funders/partners, property acquisition, and financial management and rental property management (assisted by others), for both residential and commercial developments. This position will provide an in-depth opportunity for learning-by-doing all aspects of real estate development in the non-profit community development sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Construction/Project Management: Working in close collaboration with the Senior Real Estate Director and project architects (when appropriate), develop or approve scopes of work, identify and recruit competitive contractors, and provide thorough construction management of projects in order to achieve projects implemented with high quality workmanship, on time and on budget; communicate thoroughly with Senior Real Estate Director when those goals are not being obtained and identify contingency plans to bring projects to completion. This includes housing rehabilitation for resale projects, discount home repair program projects, and possibly new construction in the future.
- Residential and Commercial Rental Property Management: Under the supervision of the Senior Real Estate Director, provide oversight of outside professional property management firm(s), managing up to 70 units. Monitor compliance and cash flow. Field tenant complaints and forward to the appropriate party for resolution. In rare emergency situations when front line property managers are unable to respond, provide direct assistance to tenants.
- Other Real Estate Development Tasks: As time permits, carry out a range of tasks required to successfully implement real estate projects, including but not limited to establishing and terminating utilities and insurance coverage, preparing reports, invoices, and monitoring regulatory requirements (including M/WBE, prevailing wage, other).
- Communication with End Users (Homebuyers, Tenants): As time permits, coordinate real estate projects so that end-user requirements are met, and so that expectations are clear among all parties. Market homeownership and rental opportunities to low-income Hazelwood residents and assist them in acquiring housing opportunities through HI.
- Administration: Under the supervision of the Senior Real Estate Director, complete all necessary administrative tasks related to the above responsibilities.
- Community Engagement: As time permits, participate in community activities to build community engagement, buy-in, awareness of and participation in Real Estate activities undertaken by HI and in collaboration with HI Community Engagement staff.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Our ideal candidate has a passion for community-based development. Additionally, s/he will have a blend of the following:
- Post-secondary degree or training in a related field is preferred
- Minimum 3 or more years of construction management-related experience (residential and/or commercial),
- Proficiency with Microsoft office is required; experience with Salesforce or Monday.com and/or an off-the-shelf Construction Management software package.is preferred
- Reliable transportation to job sites within Hazelwood and meetings within the City of Pittsburgh.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Must be an excellent listener.
- Ability to work individually, as well as in a team environment, including multicultural settings.
- Demonstrate the highest professional standards of integrity, humility, honesty, and kindness.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com