The mission of Healthy Start is to improve maternal and child health and to reduce poor birth outcomes and infant mortality in Allegheny County.
Hello Baby is a voluntary program for parents of new babies designed to strengthen families, improve children’s outcomes, and maximize child and family well-being, safety and security. As part of the Hello Baby tiered support strategy, the Hello Baby Priority program focuses on engagement and support for families with highest need.
This is a community-based home visiting “peer support” position contributing to the successful delivery of services and supports for families of newborns in Allegheny County who have complex needs. As a member of the Hello Baby Priority team, the Family Engagement Specialist (FES) is extremely knowledgeable of the service area (Mon Valley) and the unique dynamics of family and community within the geographic region. The FES will focus on engaging and supporting enrolled families using the Camden Coalition COACH model. COACH is a five-part framework that trains staff to be empowerment coaches in order to problem-solve with families to determine how to support them in reaching their goals. The COACH model focuses on Empowerment Theory, Unconditional Positive Regard and Transtheoretical Theory (Stages of Change). The successful FES is tenacious, passionate, knowledgeable of family systems, aware of community resources, is empathetic, is flexible and thinks outside the box, has excellent written and verbal communication skills and embodies the project’s core principles of community engagement, authentic healing relationships, family and child well-being, equity and respect. The FES works in community with the Social Worker.
- Learning, embracing and promoting the COACH model.
- Employing a strengths-based, “whatever it takes” attitude to serving a population with complex needs; and exploring and embracing the assets of the communities served.
- Co-managing with the Social Worker a caseload of up to 20 families, focusing on maintaining engagement through a do whatever it takes approach.
- Relentlessly pursuing meaningful engagement with families, with a special focus on the father or partner of the parent who gave birth.
- Developing trust and rapport with families and provide support using an empathic and family-centered approach.
- Connecting families to basic needs including transportation, childcare and other benefits.
- “Being there” for families – defined broadly, this may include accompanying to appointments, ad hoc phone calls or home visits, and childcare support
- Maintaining relationships among the Hello Baby team (Healthy Start and DHS), family support centers and other providers and community resources that contribute to the success of enrolled families.
- Documenting participant service delivery based established guidelines and protocols.
- Participating in individual and team case review, reflective supervision, and prescribed trainings and meetings.
- Operates a variety of office equipment, i.e., copier machine, facsimile, etc.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Qualifications of Position:
The FES is able to demonstrate a connectedness and passion for family and community. The FES will have at least a high school diploma or GED and at least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience with transferable skills. Community-based work and/or substantial related volunteer experience such as FDS, home visiting or other family support role preferred.
- Act 33/34 and FBI Clearances are required
- Must possess a valid unrestricted Pennsylvania Driver’s License and be able to conduct home visits for the purpose of field supervision
- Must possess current and valid unrestricted automobile insurance and be listed as an insured driver.
This position works under the direction of the Hello Baby Team Supervisor.
The starting salary for this position is $35k – $38k to commensurate with skills and experience. We offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
FLSA Status: Exempt
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com