Improving the lives of resettled refugee families in Pittsburgh.
Founded in 2017, Hello Neighbor works to improve the lives of recently resettled refugee families by matching them with dedicated neighbors to guide and support them in their new lives. In that time we’ve supported over 500 people from 15 countries of origin. We’ve expanded from our mentorship program to now include family service programs including support for new and expectant moms and their babies, remote learning support, a food social enterprise, direct services and distributions supporting families’ needs, and a national program supporting other refugee and immigrant nonprofits around the country. It’s a great time to join Hello Neighbor!
Read more about our mission, vision and core values.
Hello Neighbor is currently hiring for three summer internships (these can be paid or for credit):
- National Network & Advocacy Intern (Pittsburgh, PA or remote)
- Family Services Intern (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Marketing Intern (Pittsburgh, PA)
National Network & Advocacy Intern (Location: Pittsburgh, PA or remote)
The Network & Advocacy Intern will work directly with the National Program Manager to support the growth of the Hello Neighbor Network, a coalition of like-minded community-based refugee and immigrant support nonprofits from around the country who have joined together to share best practices and learn from each other. This is a Leadership Fellowship to Membership pipeline for nonprofit organizational leaders. The Hello Neighbor Network is geared toward small-to-medium nonprofits whose leaders are poised for high-growth potential. Our goal is that this Network will have a significant impact on participants who will positively impact the communities they serve.
Your strong programmatic, advocacy, and communication skills will help deliver on our strategic goals and continued growth.
- Writing newsletter content highlighting the latest in news, advocacy, and best practices for refugee and immigrant support nonprofits
- Writing articles for the Hello Neighbor Network Medium publication
- Providing summaries of top headlines to Hello Neighbor team and Network on national policy and best practice as well as conducting research on potential funding sources and conferences for the Network
- Support the regrant process to provide funding to member organizations
- Support monthly professional development sessions for Network members and help collect feedback from sessions
- Creating and co-creating policy and best practice briefs that can be shared by the Network
- Supporting a national research study on racial equity education for refugees and immigrants in the U.S.
- Providing administrative support as needed with our database system, communications, and other needs as they arise
Family Services Intern (Location: Pittsburgh, PA)
The Family Services Intern will work directly with Hello Neighbor’s Family Services team, including our Family Services Manager, Direct Services Coordinator, Youth Development Program Coordinator, and Mom-to-Mom Support Coordinator to support the growth and operations of Hello Neighbor’s Family Services Programs. Our Family Services programs – Family Mentorship, Study Buddy, Smart Start, and Direct Services – support refugee and immigrant families, youth, and moms and babies as they rebuild their lives in Pittsburgh.
Your strong programmatic, communication, and organization skills will help support our strategic goals and continued growth.
- Creating and updating policy reports about the cultures of the families we serve
- Conducting research and updating organizational and program-specific talking points
- Creating marketing and recruitment materials for Family Services programs
- Supporting volunteer record upkeep and organization
- Providing administrative support as needed with our database and case notes system, communications, and other needs as they arise
- Providing recruitment support for the launch of the Fall 2021 Study Buddy program and as-needed for additional Family Services programs
Marketing Intern (Location: Pittsburgh, PA)
The Marketing Intern will work directly with Hello Neighbor’s Marketing team, including our Marketing and Development Manager and Marketing and Outreach Assistant to support the marketing, branding, storytelling, and outreach efforts of Hello Neighbor. The Hello Neighbor Marketing team is committed to engaging with our community and online audience as much as possible and establishing brand awareness of Hello Neighbor through our core value of Dignified Storytelling. We do this though our social media channels, blog, newsletter, print and other forms of media.
Your creative storytelling, communication, and multimedia skills will help amplify our message and elevate refugee and immigrant stories.
- Support the creation and organization of marketing materials for Hello Neighbor
- Create content to share on our blog, social media, and newsletter.
- Organize Hello Neighbor digital photo assets by creating a clear and easy-to-navigate photo library for team use.
- Write weekly content for the Hello Neighbor blog; pitch ideas for series and stand alone content
- Capture photo/video needs for all Hello Neighbor programs and general marketing
- Brainstorm and execute on video series ideas (storytelling, advocacy, educational) to increase content and traffic on our YouTube channel and cross-post on digital platforms.
- Assist Marketing and Development Manager in community outreach efforts by contacting or visiting local businesses to promote Hello Neighbor and secure local partnerships
- Be on site at events for content capture and go on location to capture interviews as well as photo/video assets to accompany stories.
You must have day-time and weekend availability to attend events and capture photo/video needs. You will report directly to the Development and Marketing Manager and must be located in the Greater Pittsburgh Area.
- Graduate student (preferred) or undergraduate student
- Good report writing and research skills with good interpersonal skills
- Must be highly computer literate
- Is an enthusiastic professional, who is comfortable speaking in public and is able to build relationships with internal stakeholders
- Values and practices cultural humility
- Has a passion for supporting refugees and immigrants
- Is excited to grow in a fast-moving startup environment
Why It’s Great to Work At Hello Neighbor:
- We are doing innovative work supporting refugees and immigrants
- We are building a diverse and multicultural community and workplace
- You will learn a lot and develop new skills
- We like to take big risks
- You opinion matters and will help shape Hello Neighbor’s growth and impact
- We are a small collaborative team that works together closely
- We are one-part startup and one-part nonprofit, you’ll get to learn about both
- We have received national recognition for our work and it’s an exciting time to join our team
- Our office is in a sunny and inviting space in Larimer. It’s a positive and great workplace environment (and occasionally comes with free food).
- We will be accepting applications through April 23rd
- Target start day is May 24th
- Interested applicants should fill out this application or visit our careers page to learn more.
Data shows that women more frequently do not apply to a job because they don’t feel that they meet all of the qualifications listed. Our job descriptions are general overviews, not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute to the growth of our organization, we want to hear from you!
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com