Community and Economic Development in south Pittsburgh's Hilltop
Background: Since our formation in 2007 and full operation in 2009, the Hilltop Alliance (HA) has worked collaboratively to preserve and create community assets across South Pittsburgh’s Hilltop. The Alliance serves the communities of: Allentown, Arlington, Arlington Heights, Beltzhoover, Bon Air, Carrick, Knoxville, Mt. Oliver Borough, Mt. Oliver City, Mt. Washington, South Side Slopes and St. Clair.
Position Summary: The Director of Real Estate is a salary position responsible for driving the Hilltop Alliance’s vacant property redevelopment activities, including guiding strategic site assembly, coordinating property acquisitions, mapping & tracking of properties in acquisition process, developing and issuing RFPs, vacant property walk-throughs to assess current conditions, and other pre-development activities. Additionally, this position supports the Construction & Redevelopment Manager by coordinating the Hilltop Alliance’s home repair projects.
Vacant Property Redevelopment:
- Maintain an active pipeline of potential projects, acquiring properties through means including private and public methods (Treasurer’s Sale and Property Reserve, Sheriff’s Sale and the City of Pittsburgh Land Bank)
- Develop and issue Requests for Proposals for development partners
- Assist Executive Director with building partnerships with qualified developers both for joint ventures and to encourage responsible development in the neighborhoods
- Identify new strategic site assemblies and maintain HA’s real estate acquisitions tracking
- Coordinate and manage professional services contracts (property management, consultants, etc.), partnership agreements, property sales or acquisitions, lines of credit for development, and other economic development-oriented negotiations, as needed
- Manage vacant property portfolios (including those in the name of the City, URA and MWCDC) including coordinating contractors who maintain them for overgrowth and safety
- Leverage knowledge about planning, zoning and land use processes for inclusive and sustainable residential redevelopment in the Hilltop
- Promote opportunities for first-time homebuyers or other useful workshops for property owners and renters, as needed
- Track residential real estate market trends in the Hilltop neighborhoods
- Participate in PCRG’s Vacant Property Working Group on behalf of HA
- Attend and staff Hilltop Alliance Real Estate Committee meetings
Home Repair Assistance Programs:
- Support Construction & Redevelopment Manager with the performance and implementation of HA’s home repair assistance programs
- Serve as a liaison for HA clients in the process of home repair initiatives for which HA is either directly responsible (such as Homeowner Assistance Program and Emergency Stabilization Grant projects), or a community partner (such as Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh, PHLF and ACTION Housing Inc.)
- Support Construction & Redevelopment Manager by managing and tracking every step in the process of home repair initiatives, including:
- Assist residents with completing applications for assistance, as needed
- Coordinate work scope development and approval, between HA staff, homeowner and City officials and/or nonprofit partners
- Ensure execution of all contracts and waivers (with homeowners and contractors) including supporting documentation and required insurances
- Ensure proper invoicing for all related payables and receivables
- Organize and digitally store all records
- Regularly maintain and update the HA project management software that tracks progress of projects.
- Assist with grant and financing applications, reporting and compliance, as needed.
- This position reports to and is evaluated by the Executive Director, with input from the Construction & Redevelopment Manager who will be a close teammate.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 5+ years of relevant experience desired
- Strong experience with computer software including proficiency in Google Docs, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word, and Excel is required. Experience working with project management software (Asana) and Arc GIS is strongly desired.
- Familiarity with basic office machines including voice mail, copy machine, scanner, etc.
- Able to analyze maps of property conditions and identify trends and opportunities
- Well-organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent communication, including verbal and written
- Able to collect information, determine key objectives, and act strategically
- Able to learn quickly in a small office
- Able to establish and maintain positive working relationships with diverse groups including residents, property owners, peer organizations, public officials, and other stakeholders
- Able to manage workflow and prioritize conflicting activities while providing support to other professional staff and partners
- Support of nonprofit community development, including preserving and developing all types of affordable housing
With the subject title “Director of Real Estate Position”, please email a single word doc or PDF attachment (titled with your last name), including a cover letter (1 page), a resume (1-2 pages), contact information for three professional references and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications are due by 5 PM on Friday, December 17. Phone screening will be done on a rolling basis. In-person interviews are expected to be scheduled for early- or mid-January, with a hiring decision by late January.
Salary range is $65,000 – $75,000, DOQ. Benefits include health, vision, dental, short-term, and long-term disability insurances, simple IRA plan with 3% employer match, and paid time off and holidays. Our staff is currently operating in a hybrid form (in-office and remote) and we expect that to continue indefinitely with some modifications.
Hilltop Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com