Background: Formed in 2009, the Hilltop Alliance is a non-profit community development organization committed to preserving and creating community assets in Pittsburgh’s Hilltop neighborhoods. Since 2014, the Hilltop Alliance has led a successful business district growth program in the Allentown neighborhood’s East Warrington Avenue business district. With over 40 new businesses and only a 5% storefront vacancy rate, the district is at a place where businesses need continued support to stabilize and grow. In 2021, the Hilltop Alliance will be expanding this program area to include the Mt. Oliver business district along Brownsville Road. Like Allentown in 2014, the storefront vacancy rate in Mt. Oliver is around 50%, with limited business investment and property renovations. And like Allentown, the Mt. Oliver business district provides a unique opportunity to attract reinvestment and growth. If you are interested in helping entrepreneurs fulfill their dreams, saving historic commercial properties, bringing community plans to reality, we hope you will apply!
Position Summary: The Director of Economic Development will lead our neighborhood business district programs in both Mt. Oliver (Brownsville Road corridor) and Allentown (East Warrington Avenue corridor). As a key HA staff member, you will also contribute to the Hilltop Alliance’s fundraising and financing applications and reports (written and data). In Q3, the Hilltop Alliance intends to hire a Coordinator position to manage all business district marketing, social media, promotional campaigns, external communications, and special events. The Director of Economic Development will directly supervise this Coordinator.
Since Covid-19, most of our staff have been primarily working remote. However, by fall 2021 we expect that many staff members (including you) will return to the office with a mix of remote and in-office days per week. We will closely follow health officials’ guidance and best practices for doing so.
Major Responsibilities: The primary elements of the position include:
- Communication liaison between the Hilltop Alliance and its all-volunteer member organizations, the Allentown CDC and the Hilltop Economic Development Corporation (Mt. Oliver), regarding work in those neighborhoods’ business districts.
- Staff the stakeholder Committees, including the Allentown Business District Committee and Mt. Oliver Main Street Committee.
- Build relationships with business owners and property owners in the district and maintain a contact list and property database.
- Seek out and connect new potential businesses with commercial space that fits their needs.
- Inspire commercial property owners with possibilities for building renovations, including bringing design concepts and financing options to them.
- Connect interested entrepreneurs with entrepreneurship ecosystem resources (including creating business plans, financing, and legal assistance), preparing them for success in their new business start-up.
- Assist businesses with identifying and applying for small business financing, including short-term and long-term grants and loans.
- Support written funding requests and prepare reports, as needed
- Assist with property acquisitions and development financing for other Hilltop Alliance projects, including both commercial and residential development.
Education & Skills
- Five years of relevant experience and/or education
- Meeting facilitation skills and proven ability to build relationships
- Proactive and responsive communication skills, including verbal, written and public speaking
- Experience motivating, negotiating with, and persuading stakeholders into a course of action
- Analytical skills, including the ability to collect information and data, identify themes and gaps, and formulate solutions to achieve program goals and outcomes
- Experience establishing project budgets and completing projects within budgets (including with property renovation projects)
- Experience applying for and managing contracts for grant and loan funds.
- Knowledge of small business financial and technical resources in the City, County and State, including from government, nonprofits and financial institutions
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to staff and/or attend evening meetings, as needed
- Familiarity with social media platforms and other digital marketing tools
- Highly proficient computer skills with both G Suite and Microsoft Office. Experience with project management software (such as Asana).
- Understanding and support of nonprofit community development
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Hands-on team player
- Excited watching others succeed in business and entrepreneurship
- Inclusive in gathering community input and feedback
- Respect for entrepreneurship and hustle needed to succeed in small business ownership
- Ability to learn quickly in a small office and fast-paced environment
- A love of numbers and data
Salary range: $65,000 – $75,000 (+ Healthcare & Dental Insurance, IRA Retirement Account with 3% match and generous paid time off)
With the subject title “Director of Economic Development Position”, please email a single word doc or PDF attachment (titled with your last name), including a cover letter (1 page), a resume (1-2 pages), contact information for three professional references and salary expectations to email@example.com. All applications are due by 5 PM on Friday, July 9. Phone screening will be done on a rolling basis. In-person interviews are expected to be scheduled for July 19-21, with a hiring decision expected by the end of that week.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org