HCEF is looking for an enthusiastic team member to contribute to the launch of a new initiative to take learning to students in the community. As Education Support Coordinator with HCEF you will build relationships with students, families, school and housing agency staff, and the HCEF team to advance the education of children and youth experiencing homelessness. You’ll be a part of shaping HCEF’s new Mobile Learning, Home Visiting Tutoring Program, which will expand HCEF’s efforts to collaborate with families not previously reached.
- Collaborate with HCEF staff to build mobile learning program policies and procedures, assist with hiring and managing consultants for the implementation of this new program.
- Participate in continuous improvement to develop and deliver high quality mobile learning programming.
- Build respectful, culturally responsive, and trusting relationships with families.
- Participate in and coordinate structured, child-focused home visiting that promotes parents’ ability to support the child’s cognitive, social and emotional, language and literacy, physical development, and approaches to learning.
- Implement effective strengths-based caregiver education, including methods to encourage caregivers as a critical part of their child’s education.
- Research and implement Methods to help caregivers promote literacy in their children including use of research-based strategies to support the development of literacy.
- Coordinate consultant team with the support of the Education Director and work with Manager of Community Engagement to coordinate volunteer support to the consultant team.
- Collaborate with Family Engagement Coordinator to establish and maintain communication with parents, teachers, and school staff to support student academic achievement. Participating in family intake meeting, creating goals and plan for families as they relate to the education of the child.
- Handle a personal caseload of families and students receiving tutoring and family engagement support.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the tutoring sessions and family supports (including distribution of surveys) and make adaptations when necessary to meet individual student’s needs or needs of the family.
- Ensure that all data (intake form data, goal updates, volunteer and student attendance, parent meetings, school interactions, etc.) are accurately entered in the appropriate database on a weekly basis
- Abide by HCEF policies and practices and attend HCEF team meetings, and board committee meetings.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (in Education, Social Work, or related Field)
- Education background and teaching certification would be a plus
- General knowledge about homelessness and housing instability, and rights of students and families experiencing homelessness.
- Knowledge of Special Education System, Processes and Best Practices (including IEPs, 504 Plans, Universal Design, etc.)
- Prior experience with tutoring K-8 students in an out-of-school time context
- Family Engagement Experience Required
- At least 3 years of experience working with children and families
- Passionate about ensuring that all youth have equal access to quality education
- Commitment to diversity, social justice, equity, and inclusivity
- Belief that all people/organizations have a responsibility and ability to effect social change in their communities
- Ability to think and act quickly in a moment of crisis, knowledge of de-escalation
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Project management experience; ability to multitask, problem-solve, prioritize, delegate, and to create systems/processes
- Some familiarity with the (local or similar) resources and systems that serve people experiencing homelessness or families experiencing crises
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required
Salary Range: $35,000 to $40,000
Benefits: The position includes a benefit package, which provides health, dental, vision, a 401K Plan with a 3% discretionary match, as well as paid vacation and holidays.
This position will report to the Education Director and work remotely, out in the community, and at the HCEF office at 1901 Centre Ave, Suite 301, Pittsburgh, PA 15219. The position is exempt and full-time. The standard hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with flexibility dependent on case load.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Kaitlyn Nykwest at email@example.com.
Homeless Children’s Education Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org