Allegheny County Health Department
Hourly $ 33.6538 – $35.8653
Monthly – $ 5,833.33 – $ 6,216.66
Annual – $70,000.00 – 74,600.00
Location – Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Job Type – Employment
Job Category – Human Resources
A master’s degree in human resource management, public or business administration, labor relations or a related field and four (4) years of progressively responsible professional personnel experience, including two (2) years in an administrative or supervisory capacity;
A bachelor’s degree in human resource management, public or business administration, labor relations or a related field from an accredited college or university and five (5) years of progressively responsible professional personnel experience, including two (2) years in an administrative or supervisory capacity.
Must pass a computer literacy examination administered by the Allegheny County Health Department with a score of 75% or higher.
Must pass a pre-employment proficiency examination administered by the Allegheny County Health Department with a score of 75% or higher.
NATURE OF WORK
This is professional personnel management work at the administrative level.
The employee in this class is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing a comprehensive, approved merit program of personnel administration for Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD). ACHD has an approved workforce of approximately 425 operating and grant funded positions. This position is tasked with recruiting an exemplary workforce and developing mechanisms to retain those individuals. Work is performed independently under the general supervision of the Deputy Director of Administration, who reviews the work for adherence to policies and acceptable personnel management standards and for accomplishment of objectives.
All employees with the Allegheny County Health Department may be required to respond to public health emergencies including, but not limited to, natural disasters, disease outbreaks, or catastrophic events.
Hours of work generally fall between 8 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday with potential for occasional evening & weekend hours in the event of a public health emergency.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of personnel administration, including recruitment, selection, placement, position classification, compensation, performance evaluation, training and labor relations.
- Knowledge of public administration.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of human resource management.
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, and strategies that attract and retain a diverse workforce
- Ability to analyze personnel problems and needs and devise effective solutions.
- Ability to assign and supervise the work of subordinate personnel effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with State, Federal and County Officials, employees and the general public.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Must be proficient in all Microsoft Programs including but not limited to Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Teams
- Ability to respond to emergencies.
- Knowledge of Human Resource management and labor relations principles and practices as they pertain to employees covered by collective bargaining agreements
- Knowledge and Understanding of the PA Civil Service
- Knowledge of the legal basis for merit-based personnel rules and regulations
- Participation in HR related resource groups
Paid holidays, personal days, vacation and sick leave benefits, medical coverage and dental benefits, a retirement plan, life insurance and a deferred compensation plan after eligibility requirements have been met.
PERKS OF WORKING FOR ACHD:
Professional growth through training opportunities (CPR, First AID, Public Health Preparedness, Dignity and Respect, Points of Dispensing, and more); ability to advance in county system; job security; meaningfulness in daily work derived from public service; eligible for federal loan forgiveness; organizational commitment to ACHD’s mission to protect, promote, and preserve the health and well-being of all Allegheny County residents, particularly the most vulnerable.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
Applications will be accepted from certified Merit System employees of the Allegheny County Health Department and outside candidates who possess the experience and training listed in this announcement and who are capable of performing the duties of this position.
To apply for this job please visit www.alleghenycounty.us.