The Ecosystem Director embodies the InnovatePGH Partnership’s efforts to adopt and advocate a new narrative for Pittsburgh’s economic future. The Director coordinates closely with Pittsburgh’s robust Tech Based Economic Development leadership to remove barriers for startups, fully leverage the academic anchors in the Pittsburgh Innovation District, integrate inclusive innovation priorities, and accelerate Pittsburgh’s standing as a global innovation hub. The Ecosystem Director reports to the Executive Director.
Champion + Convene
Advance a public/private platform – uniquely focused on the innovation economy – and implement inter-organizational economic and cluster development strategies; remove growth barriers for local technology startups:
- Foster coordination and collaboration efforts to connect ecosystem builders across Pittsburgh’s existing tech based economic development (TBED) networks
- Convene (at least bi-monthly) and staff the InnovatePGH “Stakeholder Committee”
- Represent InnovatePGH at relevant community events
- Identify opportunities to build strong connectivity with high-growth startups; develop strong relationships with founders, entrepreneurs, and HR leaders
- Forge strong relationships with key university leaders including entrepreneurship centers, researchers, alumni coordinators, relevant initiative directors, and related institute heads, etc.
Raise the profile of Pittsburgh startups and research assets to consistently position Pittsburgh as a top-30 innovation and startup city:
- Continue and accelerate visibility projects with Startup Genome (in partnership with Innovation Works and the Pittsburgh Regional Alliance) and Dealroom.co
- Build a new platform showcasing university research/IP across multiple Innovation District academic anchors
- Leverage independent data development/visibility projects to launch a unified “front door” for Pittsburgh’s innovation ecosystem
- Establish and implement ongoing data development and gathering programs; maintain, and share, a database of startups, intermediaries, investments, exits, etc.
- Work with InnovatePGH, university, and economic development partner communication assets to aggressively position Pittsburgh’s startup ecosystem globally
- Serve as a primary spokesperson for the Pittsburgh startup ecosystem and a secondary spokesperson for InnovatePGH
Support city-wide and regional business development and retention partnerships; position the Pittsburgh Innovation District as a key attraction anchor:
- Ensure maximum alignment and participation with the “Red Team” attraction platform at the Pittsburgh Regional Alliance
- Integrate university/Innovation District anchor expertise into regional tech attraction efforts
- Support tenant attraction efforts and entrepreneurship engagement/representation in the Pittsburgh Innovation District and Avenu
- Lead InnovatePGH’s participation in tech talent attraction/retention partnerships
- Leverage local funding to secure new resources (federal, national foundation, etc.) to power InnovatePGH’s ESHIP efforts
- Develop and track relevant KPI’s
- Support and direct the Inclusive Innovation Manager and additional direct reports as identified
- Assist with special projects as needed
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director
Experience, Skills + Personal Attributes
Successful candidate brings a positive attitude, technical expertise, and a willingness to make an immediate impact to a nimble, highly motivated team.
- At least three-years relevant work experience; exposure to innovation ecosystems, startup, and/or economic development preferred
- Robust understanding of entrepreneurship ecosystems and economic development concepts
- Excellent executive presence; ability to work under pressure and face the challenges of a high-profile initiative with multiple priorities
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Effective communicator with exceptional verbal, written, and presentation skills
- High level of self-motivation with drive to take initiative; including willingness to develop independent goals and tasks
- Outgoing and willing to meet new people and build strong personal connections
- Highly organized and proactive with the ability to meet deadlines; capable of creating and keeping a dynamic schedule
- Proven ability to build and manage a small team
- Passion for Pittsburgh.
- This position will be based at InnovatePGH’s offices in the Pittsburgh Innovation District with a flex-work pattern available. Some local travel is required
- A flexible schedule, including some evening hours, is required
- Salary: $70,000 – $80,000 with competitive benefits
To apply for this job email your details to IMI@InnovatePGH.com