Website Intentional Philanthropy
Family Engagement. Community Impact
Intentional Philanthropy seeks a personable, motivated and highly organized individual with strong ties to the Pittsburgh non-profit community to serve as a part-time Program Officer for a private foundation client primarily focused on healthy, equitable communities and environmental justice in Pittsburgh. We are seeking an emerging leader who believes in building a more equitable Pittsburgh and who can develop and implement grantmaking strategies toward that goal.
We are an entrepreneurial company providing grantmaking, administrative, foundation management, and strategy consulting services to family and independent foundations. The Program Officer may have the opportunity to support other client work and internal projects at Intentional Philanthropy, as needed. This position is an exciting opportunity for someone wishing to work in collaborative environment where their skills in grantmaking, program evaluation, project management and client services will be appreciated.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the Board’s continued refinement of its mission, grantmaking objectives and approach to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) by providing knowledge and expertise gained through research and interaction in the field.
- Design and manage grantmaking initiatives that advance the Foundation’s strategic direction.
- Serve as the primary contact for meeting with existing and prospective grantees.
- Perform and document necessary due diligence on prospective grantees to ensure programmatic excellence; include field research on best practices and relevant policy.
- Conduct strategic, purposeful site visits, and document with clear and concise reports.
- Work closely with other funders and community/nonprofit leaders to identify needs and promote opportunities for grantmaking and collaboration that align with the Foundation’s mission, interests, and funding priorities.
- Maintain relationships with existing grantees, connecting regularly with grantees to review progress toward programmatic goals. Provide technical assistance and/or appropriate feedback as necessary.
- Review final grant reports to assess whether reporting, performance criteria, and proposed project outcomes have been met.
- Maintain accurate and accessible records and documentation of grantmaking activities.
Knowledge Base Development
- Inform the Foundation’s strategic grantmaking by regularly sharing accumulated knowledge in a clear and concise manner with fellow staff and Board for collective understanding.
- Support IP staff in executive leadership roles as they lead the Board in further defining strategic objectives that align with the Foundation’s grantmaking focus.
- Stay apprised of and document relevant policy making, landscape activity, promising strategies, and best practices that may impact philanthropic focus and strategy.
- Support the active engagement of the Board in the work of the Foundation by identifying appropriate learning opportunities and developing clear and concise briefing materials.
The Program Officer must be able to work both independently and in collaboration with grantees, funding partners, staff colleagues and Board members, and must possess a commitment to excellence and a desire to serve the best interests of the Foundation and its grantees.
Program Officers at IP:
- Serve as primary point of contact with grantees or other external parties with senior level support
- Coordinate and integrate with high level strategic goals for the client, project and/or company
- Are able to able to effectively prioritize; to set and meet realistic goals
- Run portions of client meetings/calls
- Manage own workflow as well as drive/direct projects or work streams
- Identify client needs and collaborate with senior staff to create tools and content to further strategic goals
- Maintain a positive attitude and a sense of humor
- Make decisions using sound judgement
- Deliver clear, cogent written and oral communication.
A degree in an appropriate field and five to seven years of relevant experience are ideal. This position requires 2-4 business trips per year.
About Intentional Philanthropy
Intentional Philanthropy is a philanthropic advisory and management firm serving family foundations and independent foundations on grantmaking strategy, family foundation succession and foundation management. We help foundations define the change they want to see in the world, develop a strategy to accomplish that change, and vet and evaluate the nonprofits capable of bringing that vision to reality. We work with individuals and families at all stages of their philanthropic journey. We help those just starting out as well as those with years of practice.
We pride ourselves on providing right-sized solutions to our clients’ needs. Our work is high quality, yet our style remains down to earth and approachable. We value each other, our clients, and the dreams they have entrusted to us as their partners. www.intentionalphilanthropy.com
To be considered, candidates must submit a resume and cover letter detailing their relevant experience and specific interest in the company and the position by Monday, March 1, 2021, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use this exact subject line: Program Officer – Pittsburgh.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com