Jewish Family and Community Services
Website Jewish Family and Community Services
JFCS is committed to assisting refugee families so they are on the path to building economic and family self-sufficiency.
We are seeking a Refugee Employment specialist to help on our team. The Refugee Employment Specialist will assist adult refugees, within their first five years in the U.S., find jobs within designated timelines. The Employment Specialist will also assist job-seeking clients and their families with case management or other related duties.
NOTE: This position will require extensive field work including accompanying clients to job sites and training clients on bus routes to jobs. Covid-19 safety precautions required at all times.
JFCS is known as a local leader in providing innovative and effective social service solutions to problems facing families and individuals of all ages and walks of life. Support ranges from counseling services, career services, guardianship services, immigration legal services, refugee and immigrant services, scholarship services and we run the Squirrel Hill Food Pantry. We offer support without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, gender, sexual orientation, familial status, age, handicap or disability.
- Experience working with refugee/immigrant populations and a general understanding of workforce
- Team player; ability to communicate with case workers, interpreters, employers
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience in providing direct client services
- Ability to promote program to employers
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant life experience
- Fluency in a non-English language is preferred, but not required. Current high need languages include Arabic, Nepali, Swahili and Dari
- A valid PA driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Belief in the importance of creating an inclusive local workforce
- Passion for helping individuals achieve independence through education and work
- Commitment to providing culturally competent services in client’s preferred language
- Enthusiastic, creative and empathetic
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess employment needs of clients
- Create/implement individualized job plan, budget and resume with each client
- Provide job counseling (managing expectations), job search and job development assistance to clients
- Communicate frequently with refugee team about client progress
- Assist in new employer development
- Contact employers on behalf of clients
- Plan, develop curriculum, organize, coordinate, and leads job-related workshops for clients
Job Placement Activities:
- Assist clients with job applications and follow-up as needed
- Attend and/organize job fair events with or on behalf of clients
- Prepare clients for interviews, ensures transportation to interview and provides post-interview communication
- Upon hire, assist with pre-hire requirements, transportation planning and onboarding
- Follow up with employed clients according to required schedule and program requirements
- Act as liaison with employers, available to trouble-shoot problems, especially as they relate to cross-cultural issues
- Assist clients with upgrading to better paying/career-oriented jobs as allowed by program priorities
- Provide case management to job seeker or his/her family as part of family self-sufficiency plan
- Maintain accurate written and electronic records in accordance with funding and agency requirements
- Prepare case notes on all contacts with or on behalf of clients as soon as possible
- Participate in departmental staff and planning meetings
- Attend employment meetings and refugee resettlement conferences as needed, local, regional and national
- Participate in staff development and training opportunities provided by JFCS
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned related to refugee services and JFCS employees in general.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Refugee Employment Specialist” in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com