Just Mediation Pittsburgh
Website Just Mediation Pittsburgh
Resolving disputes and maintaining stable housing for all
Classification: Full Time/Non-Exempt
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $22/hour ($45,760/year)
Terms: One year grant with a January 2022 start date
The Landlord Engagement Specialist for Just Mediation Pittsburgh will identify and contact landlords to connect them to mediation as an alternative to pursuing eviction through the courts. This position will work closely with RentHelpPGH’s Eviction Rapid Response (ERR) system to review magisterial court dockets and contact the landlords filing evictions who require immediate outreach for eviction diversion. This position will require fast-paced outreach and effective persuasion to present mediation as an attractive resolution tool for landlords. Additional research will be required to identify and contact landlords and property management companies unfamiliar with mediation. This position will be expected to initiate and maintain relationships with landlords, and will be required to work well by phone, email, and in person.
- Collaborate with RentHelpPGH’s Eviction Rapid Response systems to identify and contact landlords who have filed for eviction
- Develop landlord engagement strategy that prioritizes populations vulnerable to eviction and targets high-eviction complexes and neighborhoods
- Conduct site visits to eviction hotspots in coordination with RentHelpPGH
- Attend meetings hosted by landlord associations, landlord referral sources, and funding partners to maintain streamlined referral systems for mediation
- Develop and present program materials tailored to landlord audiences that clearly communicate JMP processes and mediation procedures
- Recruit existing landlord partners to engage with other landlords about the benefits of landlord-tenant mediation prior to court action.
- Leverage connections in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County to advertise JMP mediation services with populations most critically in need of eviction mediation
- All other responsibilities that are assigned from time to time by the Executive Director.
- Experience in property management and housing with populations from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to convince parties to support alternative conflict resolution strategies
- Experience navigating community partner relationships with respect and care
- Expertise in building partnerships and collaborative programs to solve complex problems
- Experience working with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Flexibility adapting with the realities of a community-driven organization
- Prior mediation experience with housing and eviction cases a plus
- Proficiency in Excel, Zoom, and Google platforms and comfort with learning independently developed platforms
- Strong virtual and in-person communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to self-direct work tasks and create attainable work plans
This position will require flexible work hours, including some evenings. Transportation access and appropriate licenses will be required to visit eviction hotspots and attend community meetings around Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. This position will primarily involve office or non-manual work, so the employee will be required to sit for prolonged periods of time. However, this position will also require the ability to navigate housing complexes on site visits. The employee must be able to lift up to 20 pounds, for example when setting up a meeting space. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required.
The salary for this position starts at $22/hour and offers generous paid time off. Applications will be received on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled. Anticipated start date is January 2022. Currently, this is a one-year grant funded position for which extension opportunities may be sought but are not guaranteed. This is an at-will employment position.
Currently, in consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will operate four days a week in a remote capacity with one day per week in the office. In-person activities and requirements will be at the discretion of Just Mediation Pittsburgh based upon program needs.
About Just Mediation Pittsburgh
JMP is a community mediation center dedicated to providing free, accessible mediation for tenants and landlords facing the threat of eviction. JMP understands mediation to be a community tool for justice, where conflicting parties can seek common understanding to collaboratively resolve their disputes. JMP is committed to deep listening, self-determination for conflicting parties, and equity in the face of social injustice.
Just Mediation Pittsburgh is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at JMP are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy (including partners), age, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, place of birth, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references by email to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org