Reports to: The Development Manager will report to The Director of Development.
The Mattress Factory was founded in 1977 by artists to support artists as they work
in residence to create and exhibit site-specific installations. Since then, the museum has supported and exhibited new work by more than 750 artists from the Pittsburgh region and around the world—often from places in a state of flux, such as Eastern Europe, East Asia, Cuba, India, Ireland, Northern Ireland and the Middle East.
The Mattress Factory museum of contemporary art provides all artists with the space, materials, assistance and freedom to explore new ideas, take artistic risks, engage the community and create remarkable works of art that help us see our world in new ways. The museum’s mission is to 1) provide artists with an integrated residency and exhibition program, 2) educate and provide access so that everyone can appreciate the multi-disciplinary creative process of today’s artists, and 3) energize its urban community through artistic and education programs.
The museum connects the artists who work in residence with our community members and the museum’s national and international audience through public and community programming that emphasizes critical thinking and open conversation. In 2017, the Mattress Factory touched the lives of over 30,000 learners of all ages through the museum’s Educational and Public Programming and welcomed over 104,000 visitors through its doors.
The Mattress Factory’s Development Department is seeking applications for a full-time Development Manager who is a skilled fundraiser and grants writer with excellent time management and people skills. This position will support all aspects of fundraising and membership, as well as any capital campaigns or special projects. The Development Manager will share general responsibilities with the department including grant writing and reporting, providing support for the museum’s annual fundraiser, the Urban Garden Party, soliciting corporate sponsorships, and assisting with the museum’s Membership Program and Annual Fund. The Development Manager will also help with any capital campaign preparation, administration and oversight.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Research funding opportunities, write grant proposals and complete reports.
- Ensure all donors (institutional, government, corporate and individual) are appropriately acknowledged in a timely fashion, and all donor records accurately maintained.
- Manage the museum’s CRM system (Neon CRM) and ensure accurate data entry and record-keeping.
- Assist with the solicitation and management of corporate sponsors for exhibitions, education programs and the Urban Garden Party.
- Solicit and manage Host Committee members for the Urban Garden Party.
Manage the Urban Garden Party sponsorship benefits, including ticket
- distribution to sponsors and fulfillment of media and print benefits.
Assist with management of the Membership Program, including processing of memberships, member communications, planning of membership events, annual campaigns, evaluation of member benefits, etc.
- Manage Factory 500—the museum’s premier membership group—including planning and executing quarterly Factory 500 events.
- Manage the Factory Fellows program, a philanthropic and volunteer cohort of millennials who plan museum events, problem-solve, and serve as museum ambassadors; help coordinate meetings, recruitment, and facilitate initiatives.
- Assist with the planning of the museum’s Annual Fund, as well as other fundraising campaigns including Giving Tuesday.
- Provide support to the Director of Development for any capital campaigns.
- Treat all museum information and data with confidentiality and security.
- Some weekend and evening hours required.
- College degree in a related field or 5-years equivalent work experience required
- Excellent writing skills
- Previous work in a campaign or fund development department is a plus
- Desire to work in a nonprofit environment supporting the Mattress Factory’s mission
- Experience in art museums or art galleries preferred
- Multi-tasker and self-starter who can work independently on multiple projects
- Exemplary organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must be able to quickly and accurately assess priorities, take initiative, and balance multiple projects in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Ability to set goals and report outcomes through metrics and data is essential
- Excellent people skills, and friendly and professional phone etiquette
- Excellent time-management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Experience with Word, Excel, Power Point and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with Neon CRM software or other database software is a plus
- Ability to lift a minimum of 20lbs and stand for long periods of time
Mattress Factory is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Development Manager” in the subject line. No calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com