Website MAYA Organization
MAYA Organization is a 501(c)(3) organization that provides support to underserved parents during pregnancy, birth, and the first year postpartum. Our mission is to break the cycle of generational trauma, promote strong and healthy families, and enrich communities by providing mentorship, doula services, and mental health therapy to expectant and new parents. We envision a world in which all parents receive appropriate care, education, and support throughout the perinatal period. MAYA values community, equity, and self-determination.
MAYA Organization board members champion the importance of exceptional board leadership and believe that each and every organization needs a strong and effective board to fully realize its potential for good. In addition to the standard roles and responsibilities of a board member, our board members are active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and are fully engaged in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for MAYA Organization to advance its mission.
Industry: Perinatal Support Services
Position: Volunteer Board Member (Advocacy Connector)
Job Function: Advocacy, Leadership
Employment Type: Volunteer
MAYA Organization’s Board of Directors are dedicated and committed to furthering the organization’s mission. Serving on the Board of Directors is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about strengthening leadership and governance in the nonprofit sector.
- Board members are expected to have the financial acumen to read and understand MAYA Organization’s financial statements and to otherwise help the board fulfill its fiduciary responsibilities.
- Board members are expected to attend at least four board meetings per year. They are expected to read board materials in advance of board meetings and to come prepared to ask questions and participate in discussions.
- Board members are expected to serve on one or more committees of the board and to actively participate in committee work.
- Board members are expected to play an active role in securing the financial resources necessary for MAYA Organization to achieve its mission. Board members are expected to leverage personal relationships and connections to help the development committee and staff identify and solicit potential funders, as well as directly invest in MAYA Organization’s work by making a personal contribution each year.
- Board members are expected to responsibly represent MAYA Organization to their respective communities and to advocate for MAYA Organization’s mission, programs, and services as appropriate.
- Board terms last for three years and board members can serve for up to three consecutive terms.
Desired Skills and Expertise:
We are currently recruiting Advocacy Connectors who are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism with expertise in the following areas:
- Fundraising, strategic planning, financial planning, personal and professional development, human resources, and legal professionals
MAYA Organization seeks a well-connected leader who is passionate about furthering MAYA’s mission and can leverage his/her networks and resources in support of efforts to positively impact the community in which MAYA Organization does its work. The ideal candidate has a track-record of supporting the community through a diversity, equity, and inclusivity lens; and strong connections to local, state, and national leaders who are in a position to positively impact MAYA’s capacity building. The ideal board candidate should have prior nonprofit board member experience, or be willing to receive formal board training.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org