Website National Aviary
America’s only independent indoor nonprofit zoo for birds
The National Aviary is seeking to fill a full-time Education Trainer position in the Animal Programs department. The Education Trainer works under the direct supervision of the Curator of Behavioral Management and Education.
Our Animal Programs staff is part of a dynamic and energetic department performing all job assignments with a positive attitude that reflects the National Aviary’s mission to inspire a respect for nature through an appreciation of birds. Working closely with the organization’s Education Animal Collection, Animal Program staff actively participate in optimal animal husbandry, enrichment, and handling protocols; facilitate education classes, camps, tours and experiences; assist in the National Aviary’s scripted free-flight show productions; and assist with specific special events while providing outstanding customer service. Staff is responsible for assisting with the maintenance of bird enclosures including perching, and repairs and preventative maintenance. There may also be various building projects. Staff is also responsible for the training of all animals featured in shows as well as birds used for educational classes and guest experiences.
Animal Programs staff work in a high-paced environment. Due to the nature of the work, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in Zoological Sciences, Environmental Education, or related fields preferred.
- 6 months cumulative animal handling experience, with considerable knowledge of the principles, methodologies, and practices of animal care and husbandry; avian training experience using operant conditioning in an AZA-accredited institution strongly desired; OR 1 year relevant professional experience in an education department in a zoo, nature center, museum, or other informal learning center.
- Strong teaching, interpretation and presentation skills, as well as the ability to interact and communicate with a variety of audiences in a professional and productive manner.
- Ability to organize and complete projects in a timely manner, using initiative and proper professional judgment.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays, indoors and outdoors in varied weather conditions.
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor such as lifting up to 50 lbs., bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling.
- Proficiency and experience with Microsoft Office products a plus.
- Essential duties are subject to reasonable accommodation.
- Candidates must pass the National Aviary’s Criminal Background Investigations and PA Child Abuse Investigation in order to work at the aviary.
- A valid PA Driver’s License is a plus.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees.
Please email cover letter and resume to: Cathy.Schlott@aviary.org
To apply for this job email your details to Cathy.Schlott@aviary.org