People helping people through life's many challenges
Locations: North Hills Community Outreach Millvale and North Borough offices.
Program Description: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is an IRS-sponsored program which provides free federal, state and local tax preparation services to low – moderate income working families and individuals with the intention to help them claim valuable credits (such as Earned Income Tax Credit –EITC) and save tax preparation fees. North Hills Community Outreach is a partner of the United Way Free Tax Prep (FTP) Coalition. Community volunteers are trained and certified as VITA Tax Preparers, and meet with clients to file their tax return electronically.
Responsible for: coordinating the Free Tax Prep Program, including: coordinating the volunteer tax preparers and working with low-income individuals; the quality of the returns completed; the overall flow and process at the tax site; scheduling, managing and supporting volunteers; preparing and maintain tax sites and clinic sites along ensuring sites and volunteers meet IRS, United Way, and NHCO standards.
- Complete all FTP required classroom and online trainings regarding tax law, site procedures and using TaxSlayer software; successfully pass all exams required for IRS Volunteer Advanced certification and Site Coordinator certification.
- Assist with recruiting volunteers and promoting the program
- Preparing tax sites for VITA tax preparation and maintain Quality Site Requirements throughout the season.
- Managing tax appointment schedule
- Ensuring IRS Code of Conduct and Confidentiality Regulations are practiced by all volunteers; ensure all volunteers meet the IRS training and documentation requirements; Maintain confidentiality of taxpayer and volunteer information.
- Provide high-quality tax return preparation to all taxpayers. Accurately prepare taxpayers’ federal, state, and local tax returns based on information provided by taxpayer and answer tax-related questions. Complete property tax, rent, or local services tax rebates when appropriate.
- Responsible for all electronic return filing procedure within the IRS guidelines; work to resolve any rejected tax returns within IRS guidelines.
- Performing other duties as assigned by North Hills Community Outreach (NHCO) and the United Way Free Tax Prep Coalition.
- Computer proficiency
- Good verbal and written communication skills, as well as organizational skills; ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Basic understanding of taxes, and a willingness to learn. Tax Preparation experience is a plus.
- Experience in working with low income individuals and families of diverse backgrounds along with volunteers.
- Must pass Act 33/34, FBI clearances
Hours: Part time, seasonal minimum of 20 hours a week from mid January – April with training starting in November.
Education: Degree in accounting preferred; will accept four years of directly related experience.
- Minimum of two evening/week and Saturday mornings during tax season (14-16 week duration). Some training takes place evening & weekends.
- Normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate reports
- Eye-hand coordination and ability to operate calculator, computer keyboard, printer, copier, and other office equipment.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Jacqlyn Boggs firstname.lastname@example.org
North Hills Community Outreach is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com