Northside Common Ministries
Website Northside Common Ministries
The Mission of Northside Common Ministries (NCM) is to answer the call “to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and receive the stranger,” as well as “do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God.”
NCM supports this mission through three focus areas.
Pleasant Valley Men’s Shelter
The shelter accommodates the needs of more than 25 men every night of the year who would otherwise be homeless. The shelter opens daily at 4:30 p.m. and provides residents with safe, secure sleeping quarters, a hot shower, a warm evening meal, fellowship, and life-skills training opportunities.
Northside Community Food Pantry
The food pantry provides a week’s worth of food for more than 950 food-insecure Northside residents each month. The pantry operates on a shopping model, in which clients browse our shelves and select items that best fit their family’s needs. These shelves are stocked through individual gifts and corporate/foundation grants. It is the largest food pantry in the region.
NCM, in cooperation with its parent organization, Goodwill Industries of Southwestern Pennsylvania, provides a full slate of services to residents of Pittsburgh Northside. Services include:
- Drop-in lunch service three days a week for anyone who needs it.
- Permanent Housing Program, which is designed to address the long-term needs of men who are homeless and have disabilities.
- Free eye screenings and eyewear through a partnership with Mission Vision Eye Exams.
- Weekly basic health care clinic including visits with a doctor, nurse, counselor, pharmacy intern, and psychiatrist in partnership with Primary Care Health Services Inc.
- Utility shutoff assistance program.
- High School Equivalency Test Preparation for those who have an interest in working toward their HiSET, GED, or developing basic employability/post-secondary education skills.
- Neighborhood Employment Center, which offers one-on-one job search assistance, interview preparation, and resume development.
ADVISORY BOARD MEMBER QUALIFICATIONS:
NCM is seeking energetic individuals from all walks of life with an interest in helping improve the lives of those who call the Northside their home. The most critical qualifications for an advisory board member are enthusiastic interest and a commitment to our mission. The advisory board is especially interested in adding individuals with legal, fundraising, and event management skills. The board is also actively seeking members under the age of 40.
This is an advisory board. Goodwill Industries of Southwestern Pennsylvania maintains fiduciary responsibility and is responsible for all final budgetary and hiring decisions.
Advisory Board members must:
- Be familiar with the Mission and the Mission Statement.
- Attend 60% of regularly scheduled meetings of the Board. (One evening every other month.)
- Exercise best judgment with respect to issues under consideration.
- Request additional information where sufficient background information is not available with which to make a reasonable judgment.
- Maintain the ethics of NCM and Goodwill in all its endeavors.
- Participate in outreach and fundraising events where possible.
- Make a commitment to financially support NCM at a level they feel is commensurate with their personal economic status. (There is no minimum.)
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and leverage connections, networks, and resources to support the mission.
Individuals interested in joining the Northside Common Ministry’s Advisory board should send a letter of interest and resume to Northside Common Ministries Executive Director Jay Poliziani. email@example.com.
Questions may be directed to Board Chair Mark Nootbaar firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com